not-so-dedicated Flash recommendation

kngharv

Dear all:

I have a rather strange request for a flash.

One of my trusted flash broke on me. I am using Nikon D50. I am looking for

an replacement that has following features

- Power of close to 30 meter feet rated at ISO 100

- tilt

- swivel

- Thyristor auto

- manually ability to dial down the power

Notice that TTL is *NOT* one of my requirement.

I want the following dedication:

- Flash contains a near-infra-red autofocus assist light which triggers by press

shutter half-way

- IDEALLY, thought not necessary, matches ISO settings on my camera.

Am I asking too much for a such flash?

Harv

Not so strange a request, and there are lot's of legacy Nikon film Speedlights that meet all of your requirements.

SB-80DX, SB-28(DX), SB-26/25/24, etc. All of the above have a GN of 36m @ ISO 100 with the flash zoom set to the 35mm position. All have near-infra-red autofocus assist LED's, tilt/swivel heads, thyristor auto modes, and variable manual power control. I think all of them will automatically detect your camera ISO (they do for film Nikons). Of these, IMHO the SB-28 probably represents the best choice for value vs. age, with EX and EX+ units selling at KEH.com for under $120.

I'm expect that there are also many third party near-equivalents that will meet the above requirements.

As far as I know, most of the older Nikon dedicated Flash can not be triggered by digital Nikon's hotshoe, is that correct? Do you guys have any experience using these old dedicated flash on digital Nikon body without taping the contacts?

I don't use hotshoe often. But I would prefer to have that option.

<i>"As far as I know, most of the older Nikon dedicated Flash can not be triggered by digital Nikon's hotshoe, is that correct? "</i><P>

Only when the flash is set to TTL does it lock up and not fire. When the flash is set to any other mode (non-TTL Auto or Manual) it works exactly the same as a digital dedicated flash such as the SB-600 or SB-800.

"Power of close to 30 meter feet rated at ISO 100 - tilt - swivel" -

Please, make up your mind, 30 meters or 30 feet? If 30 feet then any one flash recommended already would do.

There is no Nikon shoe mount flash capable to tilt or swiver at ISO 100, and at distance 30 meters.

If you mean 30 meters straight at ISO 100 (not tilt - no swivel), this is also "hard to swallow" requirement, then make sure you have fast lens and open it at F = 1.0 or 1.2 - but I doubt you have such a lens for Nikon ?.

"Am I asking too much for a such flash?" - YES. Just get the Nikon SB-800, and you will need to learn more about that later, as apparently you do not know what is the best for your D50 camera, and what SB-800 offers, and what SB-600 does not offer for D50.

• 2 weeks later...
30 meter / 100 feet rated at ISO 100. Sorry for the typo. And when I put out power requirement, it's not that i am trying to lite something at 30 meters away. it's a relative measure of power output of a flash.