CS2 + CS3 upgrade vs. CS3 full

Hello,

I do not own Photoshop in any version but I am interested in getting CS3.

Operating on a tight budget, it appears there is a price advantage to buying

CS2 and purchasing the CS3 upgrade than buying the full version of CS3

outright.

However, is there anything lacking in the software by going this route? If

everything is fair game, I see no reason to buy CS3 full (unless some learned

person HAS a good reason for me to consider).

As always, thank you humbly for all your responses. I do appreciate your time.

David

I forgot to mention, can I likewise consider this move if I were to purchase the full version of CS1 or Photoshop 7 and upgrade from that? I imagine a further price advantage (assuming I can upgrade to CS3 from these versions).

THANKS!

Go the least expensive route. Another option, that if applicable is probably the best economic option, is an education version if you qualify. Kids in elementary school qualifies you for education pricing. (CS3 Extended is $289)

<i>"...is an education version if you qualify"</i><p>

I believe the license for the education version precludes any use for profit or other commercial purposes. I would be very careful going this route.

<p>

That said, if you could get an education version of PS7 or PS CS then upgrade to the full version of CS3 that would probably be your most inexpensive route - and would be legal for commercial use.

"I believe the license for the education version precludes any use for profit or other commercial purposes. I would be very careful going this route."

I'm not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV, but after a quick review of the License Agreement, you are precluded from transferring the license of an education version, but I didn't see any language that would limit the resulting image that was altered/created with the education version. Of course if you don't actually qualify, then you would be in violation of the Agreement, but that's another story. Dick, what part of the agreement leads you to believe otherwise? (I could well be full of it)

David, to be able to instal a CS3 upgrade you need to have a CS copy install that work on your hard drive (you should not have a pirated copy right?) In case you have one by mistake, and you have no idea why is there, you will certainly be on your way to get a legit one as a upgrade for 200$ indeed?

its never to late to go back on the legit road one day, and sooner is the better...for everybody.

Hi Patrick,

to my regret, in my younger days I was all about pirated software. Now, more than just a legal obligation, I have a moral obligation to do what is right. Theft is theft, no matter how much people rationalize it.

I am pleased to have PAID software on my PC. And I wouldn't even consider anything but legit routes to get my hands on expensive, but useful, photo editing software.

Having an educational version does NOT preclude you from using it for professional gain. It is identical in all aspects as the regular version. When you go to upgrade to the next version, however, you will find the upgrade price is the same for all. I teach it at the local college and have a pretty good understanding of how this works.

Good luck - the learning curve is very, very long. But fun!

I was under the impression that you could not upgrade the educational version. When CS2 came out I purchased a PS6 version and then the CS2 upgrade. I purchased them both on that auction site (you know the one). I had no problems registering either one of them. I wound up getting a full legal version of CS2 for the sum total of $225. Quite a savings. I will probably go the same route for the CS3 upgrade. If have a limited budget you could check out that option. Just be very careful who you buy from and make sure that you can register the software before you buy. Good luck.

I started with an educational version of Photoshop 5 and have upgraded to CS, CS2, and plan on purchasing an upgrade for CS3 in the next few weeks. No problems with any of these upgrades.

Check the Adobe site, I believe you can only upgrade to CS3 from CS and CS2 - this is the first time Adobe limited upgrades from older versions.

<i>"I believe you can only upgrade to CS3 from CS and CS2"</i>

<p>

PS7 is also eligible for upgrade at the same price. See: <a href="https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&view=ols_prod&category=/Applications/Photoshop&distributionMethod=UPGRADE&nr=0">Adobe Products</a>

<p>

<i>"Dick, what part of the agreement leads you to believe otherwise?"</i>

<p>

My error, sorry! I was thinking of the Macromedia products acquired by Adobe.

<p>

<a href="https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&event=displayEduConditions">Macromedia restrictions</a>

You can upgrade and education version, but it is the same upgrade price, no additional discounts.

I actually purchased CS2 after the official announcement of CS3 and received the CS3 upgrade for free.

David, I got my first version of PS (CS2) at approx half price by purchasing a Waacom (sp) tablet. I did save a significant amt of money by purchasing an older version of Illustrator on Ebay, and then buying the CS2 Illustrator upgrade, and I'm sure it would work for PS also. You're best off going to the Adobe website and reading the upgrade eligibility for various products - some of the suites they have different upgrade prices depending on what you are upgrading from, but the upgrade price will be the lowest when going from CS2, of course. Good luck. Tom