help with interior shadows

I am trying to get my interior lighting to look more natural and have less

flash shadows. I shot this room with three sb-600 aimed back toward the white

wall or up to the ceiling. I can't seem to get enough light to balace with

the ambiant light and not have shadows from the added lighting. I am new at

this and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Dave

The only light I find annoying in this picture is the one that is placed above and left of the camera. It's too bright, as attested by the hot spot on the back of couch, and it is not diffused at all, as attested by the sharply defined shadows on the floor. It is clearly *not* "aimed back toward the white wall or up to the ceiling."

I think you also have one of the chair cushions up side down as well.

Sometimes shadows add to interiors by means of bringing your attention to the area you want to highlight. This is a nice shot for sure, trying to make an all white room have a bright look appeal is not easy. I'd probably actually try to darken the place a bit and maybe take advantage of the ceiling lights. They are lost in the shot.

Looking at the back of the sofa doesn't work for me because of its huge size. It overpowers the photo.

If you want to make this look really natural, you want most of the lights outside shooting through the windows. Some soft fill from behind the camera is also necessary. Also try to keep the light off the ceiling. This can be very time consuming and a logistical nightmare, but any shadows will then fall in the right direction.

Use the slanted eilings to your advantage - a hard bounce will eliminate the shadows. Also consider slowing you shutter speed down and increasing you depth/field. In photo it appears to me that you are trying to over- power the ambient light with the flashes, use the ambient light to fill in those shadows.

Longer / slower shutter speed will allow more ambient light to help soften the look. Take a ambient reading of the room with the fstop you are using and use the shutter speed the ambient reading gives.

Example if your flash calls for f8....take an ambient reading....if it says f8 at 30 seconds, Shoot f8 at 30 seconds...the flash and the ambient light will both be balanced.