D70 Mode dial Aaaaah

errolyoung

I just did a wedding yesterday and was having some exposure problems. I thought

I was adjusting a lot when 50 shots into the affair I noticed that the camera

was in Manual exposure mode. Usually before an event, I check ISO, WB, size etc

but I do not think of exposure mode because I use A mode 99%.

So now I used some electrical tape and have covered the mode dial on both

cameras so that I need to make an effort for it to change.

Most of the shots were usable. The setting 125, F7.1 with the SD800 on ITT

worked. Some bad highlights outdoors. The flash saved the day. Without it I

might have discovered the problem sooner thouth.

Noticed that the D200 has a release on the dial but not the D80. When I up grade

I will use the tape again.

FYI

Errol

This happens perhaps to many of us, with D70, or any camera.

It is hareder to do it with better camera, like D200, but there are other things that can be goofed with D2000, D2X, or others. Perhaps there is no camera that would totally prevent slippy fingers or lack of attention to the camera seetings, and that includes acquisition of dust on the sensor.

Amateurs are less sure of themselves, and they tend to frequently check their settings.

PRO photographers are too much assured of their experience, and frequently just have no time to pay attantion to the equipmant all the time. Therefore PRO shoot with 2 or more cameras on the same event and at the same time, if that is of greater importance. When I do weddings I alwasy shoot with 2 cameras, and the second camera is not just a backup camera.

"Noticed that the D200 has a release on the dial but not the D80. When I up grade I will use the tape again."

The upper left dial on the D200 does not apply to Shooting modes. There is a button by the shutter release button that is used in conjunction with one of the dials to change between Aperture, Shutter, Manual, or Program Shooting modes. AFAIK the D80 does not display the Shooting Mode in the viewfinder, but the D200 does.

"...I check ISO, WB, size etc but I do not think of exposure mode because I use A mode 99%."

I use auto-ISO, uni-WB, shoot in RAW, and mostly shoot in Manual mode. With flash I bump up the minimum ISO to gain more ambient light. Without flash I watch the ISO and when it bottoms out at ISO 100 I either speed up the shutter or stop down the aperture. Using uni-WB makes ACR unusable, but there is a "near Uni-WB" setting that works with that program. The D80, D40, D40x, and D2xs cannot have uni-WB (or any WB) loaded into them because Camera Control Pro does not support that feature.

Frank - I'm a pro and I shoot with 2 cameras, D70s, and because the dial does not have a

lock, I always check both cameras. A 'good photographer' does not leave anything to

chance, and will be sure that everything is correct as much as possible. A 'poor

photographer' will shoot willy nilly and not pay attention, and get bad shots.

I just shot a rehearsal for a philharmonic orchestra in Los Angeles with guests Debbie

Boone, Pat Boone, Richard Sherman and Mickey Rooney, and always had a moment to

glance at the dial. I discovered 2 times, once on each camera, that it moved from aperture

priority (which I prefer) to manual. I caught it both times before I shot a frame.