Good, Cheap Fisheye Lens

ni_gentry

There's the Tokina Zoom Fisheye 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5. It ain't cheap at $560 but they say it's

pretty good and has AF. It's the same as the Pentax design.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I have (and use) both, the Zenitar 16/2.8, as well as the Peleng 8/3.5.

Both of them really want to be stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8 for acceptable quality. The 16/2.8 is about 100euros, and the Peleng slightly above 200euros on E*ay.

Appended a small comparison of different focal lengths ... (on a crop 1.6 camera)

xxR means xx mm rectilinear, xxF_f means xx mm fisheye (uncorrected),

xxF_R means xx mm fisheye (corrected to rectilinear).

I personally find both lenses are certainly worth their price. I would recommend the Zenitar for film (or fullframe) and the Peleng for crop.<div>00LJND-36725684.jpg.5f6592d18bf844f15aebf9e570e48f2e.jpg</div>

Ni, I have a Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 with Pentax M42 thread mount and a Canon adapter. It was great with a full frame camera, but I no longer use it since switching to the 20D sized sensor. It's not fishy enough for me unless using it with a full frame camera.

If you want it, it's $100 delivered to any place in the USA.

As others suggest, The Peleng if you want a really serious fisheye effect and the Zenitar if you want something milder.

See http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/wide-angle-lenses-2.html for some comments on their use on digital cameras and some sample image.

See http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/fisheye.html for some comments and sample images with the Zenitar on a full frame 35mm camera.

I'd say the Zenitar 16mm is probably a more generally useful lens on an APS-C DSLR, though the cropped sensor lessens the fisheye effect. The Peleng 8mm gives a much more dramatic image, probably too dramatic for most normal uses. A little fisheye goes a long way!

I use the Zenitar too, on a film camera. Its great value, well built like the lenses of old and fine provided you stop down a bit. It is not that exciting on a 1.6 crop camera. I have some shots taken with it, down the bottom in my portfolio.