Show it Web

mark_parker2

Well folks, I broke down and purchased ShowitWeb. I've been lusting after it

for quite a while now. I put my first show together tonight.

The slideshow looks great, but I'm concerned about the speed of my server. I'm

considering upgrading my server to something with a little more burstability.

I'm currently on a 1.5mbps dedicated. Could you guys do a little stress test

for me?

I'd like to know -

1. How long did it take for the slideshow to start?

2. Did it play smoothly after it started.

If you are a flash or music hater, don't bother. It has both and I don't want

to beat that dead horse again.

If you want to comment on the slideshow or photography itself, feel free.

http://www.marksbrides.com/M-and-D/

It looks great to me. It took about 14 seconds to load (this is just an estimate since I was counting 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi... in my head and not actually timing it). It played smooth. I didn't have the music on since everyone in my house is sleeping and I can't sleep, so I can't really comment on that.

About 17 seconds for me. I like it but your own comment of "If you are a flash or music hater, don't bother" suggests that you know that some of your potential clients fall into this group and would not continue?

I did some research recently of 3 large UK companies (just a quick call to their IT department)as I was considering a flash element.

All 3 stated that staff could use the internet at breaktimes for personal use (obvious restrictions) BUT Flash is disabled on all machines outside of IT due to potential bandwith problems. So all of their potential bride workers searching with their mates at lunchtime for photographers cannot use flash.

25% of UK Internet users are also still dial-up (ISPreview November 21, 2006) that's a quarter of all potential clients.

Do you offer a non-flash option?

I would love to use a flash presentation and as I say yours is excellent but it does concern me that it's still a bit exclusive in some potential sales environments (maybe it's just us Brits LOL)!

Music is fine BTW

Kevin Stratford upon Avon UK

Yep - I know that some of my clients will fall into this category. But check out this list and see how may of them are flash.

<a href-"http://www.popphoto.com/americanphotofeatures/3854/the-top-10-wedding-photographers.html" >

Popular Photography's Top 10 Wedding Photographers </a>

I wish using flash was all that was require to get into this list :-)

It loads just as fast as most people above have mentioned.

I have never been able to sit through a Show It slideshow to completion, yours

included. The images look great, but the presentation looks like a Ken Burns on crack

production with the panning, zooming, and quick cuts.

Most clients will never see the same distractions within the slideshow. They are looking at

the images and their associated memories. Since I have no idea who these people are, the

presentation is much more important to me as a potential client. You have wonderful

images, but the final piece is just too distracting to sit through.

This is in no way a personal attack. Your stills just look better without this particular

multimedia effect.

8 seconds or so. Show was fine. On a side note, the vignettes are too strong IMO. Just doesn't seem to fit some of the bright images (shots of him and her with the nice white and blue colors). I would reserve those strong vignettes for moody B&W shots. Images were great! Just a thought...

It took 35 seconds from hitting the link until it started to play at 11:07 this morning. But, although I have DSL, apparently only 1MB I think the lack of speed has more to do with my ISP rather than your server (?).

Didn't watch the whole show but what I saw looked pretty good to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Mark,

I love your show. I just broke down and paid the $199 myself so I was glad to see your post. If you are still polling for the timing, it took 15 seconds to load for me too and then it ran flawlessly.

Tiffany blue is tearing it up this year!