Is there a smaller, lighter alternative to the D200?

larry_bethany

I'm just returning to photography after decades away. I used to use a Pentax

Spotmatic. I loved it. I'm a bit scared of buying a D200 now because of its

size and weight. I want to use something that is unobtrusive. Is there a

smaller alternative to the D200 that will give me comparable image quality,

trustworthy focus, intelligent control options, be well designed and durable

and be a joy to use? I know this sounds naive, but I've been away for a while

and would sincerely appreciate some sound suggestions.

Since you mentioned "intelligent control options," I assume you means lots of physical controls. In that case, the D80 is the next smallest and a good control layout.

Personally, I think you need a much, much smaller camera if you're concerned with an unobtrusive camera. I'm talking P&S now, not DSLR. Don't forget that the lens you use will also have a big impact on how conspicuous your camera is.

For a dramatic difference in size, I'd look to P&S.

larsbc

I'll say D80 if you want to buy new, or a D70/s if you don't mind getting a used one.

I'll stay away from the D40/x since you get AF ONLY with AF-S lenses, and most (if not ALL) Nikon AF primes are non AF-S, like the always HIGHLY recommended Nikon 50mm 1.8 AF, (no AF on the D40).

You find the D200 too large?? Really?? Compare its size to the F100 and other similar film

cameras. It's quite small, considering everything it can do. Sure, you can get the D40X but

you sacrifice features and build quality. Personally, I'd get the D200 if I were you.

The D40 and D40x will give you exactly what you are asking for. I suggest the d40 and use the savings to buy a flash or a 2nd lens.

I have done side-by-side tests and there is virtually no difference in picture quality (color, contrast) from the d40 to the d200.

What will you be taking photos of? What kind of lenses do you prefer?

I still have my Spotmatic :)

The D200 is big. But it's best if you prefer manual focus lenses - it's the only one of the D200/D80/D70s/D40/D40x camp that can meter with them.

The D80 is smaller (and what I have). Not as small as the D40/D40x but has more user control and can AF with non AFS lenses. Meaning you can get AF prime lenses or almost any AF zooms to work with it.

THe D40/D40x are tiny. (the D40x seems smaller than the D40 when I saw them at Best Buy but it could be an illusion.) They only focus and meter with AFS lenses, which, especially for the good lenses, are bigger than non AFS lenses because the motor is in the lens. Which makes it less unobtrusive. Plus, depending on your hand size, they may be too small.

I'd suggest the D80. Yes, it's bigger than the 40, but it's got more user controls and it's smaller than the D200. You can throw a prime lens on it and it's not real standout.

Of course, that's if you go Nikon.

There are a lot of cameras that are smaller and lighter than the D200. But unless you specify what features you need, i.e., what is considered to be an "alternative" to the D200, you'll merely receive a list of the many cameras that are smaller.

As starters, do you need a digital SLR, does it have to be a Nikon? Are there certainly Nikon lenses that you want to use on this camera?

If you can help narrow down the list, it'll help yourself getting a userful answer.

FWIW, I use a D200 for walk-around weekend photography, and a Canon A610 P&S that I carry with me all the time (except for when I have my D200 with me). Although my D200 is about the same size as my F and F2 cameras (a big bigger, in some ways), I don't mind carrying it around because I use a Lowepro Slingshot 200 which is a comfortable and easily-accessible way to carry it.

In many cases, being inconspicuous is more a state of mind. For that matter, so is the need for being inconspicuous.

Admittedly, there are some cases where a much smaller, near-silent camera is needed (eg: street photography in small, quiet areas). In those cases, a smaller DSLR isn't small or inconspicuous enough.

larsbc

Larry, I saw your post when it first came up, but I resisted posting because I don't like to be the nay-sayer, but the truth is the truth. As you appear to have observed, the Nikon D200 weighs about 2 lbs with battery compared to about 1 lb to 1.25 lbs for the Nikon semi pro film cameras like the FM or FE or Fm3a, and it is dimensionally large. It may be similar to an F100, but I don't use one of those because that is too big. I guess today's Nikon DSLR users don't understand the appeal of carrying your camera in a very small thin briefcase or overcoat pocket so you can have your camera with you all the time. There is no DSLR version of the Olympus OM line, Pentax ME, MX, or Nikon FE or FM, which appear to the manufacturers to be a kind of in-between-size because to get this compactness you have to use a fixed lens digital camera and accept what they offer which is typically not wide enough and too slow.

The fact is that the D40/D40x might be about small enough, but it won't autofocus standard autofocus lenses or meter manual focus lenses.

In the next several years, Nikon is bound to offer a camera with near D200 capabilities in a D40 size camera, and I have to assume the technology is their obstacle now, but I don't have much confidence because if they just allowed it to meter manual focus lenses they would have my product even if it raised the price to $1000.

It needs to be small, and it needs to meter manual lenses, and they don't give a damn.

Pentax Spotmatic - 853 g<br>

<a href="http://lauro.fi/asahi.htm">http://lauro.fi/asahi.htm</a>

<p>

Nikon D200 - 830 g<br>

<a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond200/">http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond200/</a>

<p>

There are smaller, but if you loved the Spotmatic (first SLR I ever used), you'd probably love the degree of manual control the D200 allows too... and you shouldn't find it too heavy.

<p>

I use the D200. It's large and heavy, and you can not very be unobtrusive wielding it out in the open. OTOH, it's capabilities exceed by far all that come before and after it, and in some ways, such as ability to work well with manual lenses, it is right up there on the D2-plateau.

For top quality street shooting, and other uses where small size, unobtrusiveness and quality are all paramount, you should look to the Leica M8. Oh, mortgage your house, car, and first 3 children (see, they're not worthless after all!)

/..