Dip and Dunk Labs

What's so special about dip-and-dunk? I know roughly how the process works, but are there any signif. advantages.

I do know I used Custom Color (in Van.) and yup: it's dip-and-dunk, but scans of that film showed moderate dust amounts, the film was somewhat cupped (compared to 1-hour-photo flat-as-a-pancake), and there's the obligatory bow in one frame near the middle of the roll.

Film flatness results from rolling the processed film on a core, which is something that happens as a matter of course for cine type processors. In the case of dip and dunk processors, the emulsion is draped over a pvc pole with the emulsion facing up and this causes the backwards bend in the middle. Both this and general curl can be removed by the lab by winding the film on a core and leaving it for a few hours before mounting it, but since dip and dunk processing allows for two hour service or less, customers don't wait for this to happen and labs usually don't do it. If the bend is severe, the dryer was probably too hot and dry. We have two such hanger processors and we learned to keep our temperature down as low as possible and the dryer box humidified as well.

john c

tech photo & imaging

Q-Lab

fairfield, nj

HS Photo Processing,Inc. www.hsphoto.com

Atlanta, Ga.

Dip and Dunk Color (C-41) and B&W Film

Usually 120 films are not loaded on a rack that would cause a bow. It's in dealing with 220 films, 24 and 36 exposure rolls that cross hanging is necessary. The film doesn't sit directly on the cross over. The piece is hourglass shaped so that only there very edges of the film are touching. This allows for good chemistry circulation under the film as well.

Heather

• 8 months later...