ceremony. This causes the photographer to take a lovely picture of the bride

and the groom lighting the unitly candle, and the brother of the bride's torso

and legs in the back ground, because there isn't any other position a

photographer can get in without trampling over, pushing, and tripping over

other guest trying to get a good shot. I know many photographers are trying to

be as candid as possible during the ceremony, trying not to get in the way of

the bride and groom and the wedding guest, but what can you do when a bride is

walking down the aisle, in front of the groom there are 6 guest all with point

and shoot blocking your view, the groom's view, and several of the guest view.

One of the guest even fell after he tripped over the aisle runner while the

bride was walking down the aisle. I have to shoot a wedding in July, and I

don't know what's the best approach for those annoying guest that get in the

way of the pictures. Anyone else had this problem, or is it just the wedding

I've been too.

Smile politely and stand in front of them to get your shot. If they are blocking the way, say "excuse me" and wiggle in front of them.

I have no problem telling people who are not in their place to move when I need to get a shot. I don't care if I block their shot. If I'm the hired help, my photos come first. If I'm a guest, I sit still and let the pro do their work.

That is a good idea, however, like my wedding, not one of these weddings ever have rehersal dinners. I will keep that in mind. But, like my own wedding, after specifically coming up to the people that love to do this, and asking them not to, they did it anyways, because they think they can do a better job, or they want a personal picture to themselves and boast that they took it, or it makes up for the missed shots the photographer missed...I've heard so many excuses. One was "My sister couldn't make it to the wedding, so she asked me to photograph the wedding, this way she doesn't have to wait for the professional pictures, and also its cheaper to print them ourselves". And like at my wedding, I've head about 3 photographers, and about 4 people with hand held cameras right on the stage as I was walking down the aisle...All my professional pictures prove it...and not one picture did I like of the people that took them.

Once while photographing a wedding I had to tell the Maid Of Honor.... (of all people!) to please excuse a moment. As I was trying to do formals she had her hands on the bride trying to pull her away for photos....

I simply said "excuse me, I am being to photograph their day.... you may have her in a moment when I am finished."

She blushed, and I felt bad for having to be so stern.... but that's what I was there for.

Talk to people before the wedding and explain the deal. Why is that so hard? Either you tell them to get and stay out of the way before the wedding or you tell them during the wedding... those are your only choices. If the guests are in the way, then that's what you have to shoot. You're just documenting what's there. If you or the couple don't like it, then someone should have done something earlier. It's called being a professional.

If I recall, there was a post earlier about a photographer being sued due to the fact that he didn't take a specific shot, because of people in the way...Also, if there are six people in the way, during the actual ceremony, what are you going to do, stop the officiant, and say, can all the guest please move out of the way, because only I can take the pictures. Plus, times a ticking, when you spend time telling the guest to move, expecially when there are a couple of them, you could miss the moment. I'm not a professional, so that's why I'm asking this question...don't want to ruin the pictures, due to lack of knowledge.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure being "discusted" (or 'disgusted') is a legally enforcable reason for just up and leaving a contracted wedding job. <p>

We're supposed to be professionals and doing a job. There are bound to be situations that we don't like. Everything can't always be perfect and every wedding is not all love, smiles, roses, and fancy venues. Deal with the situation as best you can or find something else to do.

I meant to say ...<p>

"Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure being "discusted" (or 'disgusted') is <b>NOT</b> a legally enforcable reason for just up and leaving a contracted wedding job. "<p>

Again, simply talk to the bride & groom, the officiant, and anyone else who matters BEFORE the wedding. It's not difficult.

I see Annie's difficulty, also being from a Russian family. Russians are not going to listen to polite requests: if they have a camera, they'll take a picture as they see fit, and won't see why they have to listen ("Nu, za chem?"), or that the prohibition applies to them personally. I think the blocking maneuver suggested in one reply is the best option here, though it is of course stressful. Maybe having a tough-minded assistant to use as crowd-control?

Seeing many approaches regarding this issue in the 300 plus weddings I have shot, including b/g making an announcement, etc...not much ever helped. I have had people jump in front of me before the kiss, holding up their cell phones. I have politely asked a guest before if they really thought standing so far away and in front of me if they are going to get a good shot with their phone...One guest was literally on top of me that when I slightly moved I fell over her. I have not shot a wedding in a year for this very reason, it completely ruined the entire experience for me. I am hoping to approach wedding photography again, but not because I have to make a living in it like I was doing, it just destroyed the experience for me personally. Now I just want to do the ones I choose to for the art and love of it, and make my living doing other things.

If I find that I'm surrounded by aggressive amateurs, I get right in there, up close, with my wide angle zoom and shoot and/or walk right up and tap the offender on the shoulder and wave them away. I hate to do these things but if it comes to the point of seriously and negatively affecting my ability to get the images the couple is expecting and/or the quality of said images, I will do it. If I thought it would help, though, I'd try to do something about it before the ceremony started, such as making an announcement before it starts. Otherwise, for shots that were gotten but included unwanted amateur shutterbugs in the background, I'd resort to PS for the important ones, like ones that go into the album.

I tend to agree that you command respect by your demeanor and the way you conduct

yourself ... and it is hard to put into words.

Here's a few tricks I've tried, and they seem to work most of the time.

For the processionals, you can spot the shutterbugs immediately. They are the ones

fiddling with their Fuji Finepix or Canon P&S with the flip out screens, and they ALWAYS sit

on the end of the pew ... a sure sign they'll jut out at the most inopportune moment. I just

walk up to them and promise that I'll get a good shot ... and request that they do not step

out or lean out to take their shot, but instead shoot as the bridal party goes past for a

different angle than I'm shooting ... this works 95% of the time.

For the formals, I announce that everyone can have one minute to get their shots AFTER I

get mine and tell them that is a request from the Bride and Groom ... that one works 100 %

of the time.

For the cake cutting, I put everyone who wants to take a photo in the shot behind the B&G

with the key people directly behind the couple and then crop out the shutterbugs in the

viewfinder : -)

If people are wandering around during the ceremony, wander up past them to get your

shot. If you can't, then ... oh well ... nothing much you can do thanks to a inconsiderate

guest.

this is a very simple strategy that i have employed in church pictures. i have never covered a wedding but have covered two ordinations for a friend free of charge.

pick out someone from the side of the bride or groom who appears to be an authority figure. have a polite chat with them and tell them to keep an eye and help you out when you are taking the main shots. it does help. this means you don't have to shout and nor would the relatives get shouted at by a stranger, instead it is one of their own asking them to make room for the paid photographer.

Apprentice with someone that knows what they are doing. "Crowd control" was "lesson one" with both of my mentors. I find it interesting that 99% of the questions asked here. Are things that a working pro would teach their helpers before their first wedding. But for some reason the current crop of would be wedding shooters choose to try and "reinvent the wheel".

I learned that you have to take control when necessary, or you won't get "your" shots.

Good crowd control skills not withstanding, the wedding contract should include language to the effect that the B&G will not/cannot, hold you responsible for missed shots due to the actions of guests.

The shots of the guests getting in the way may be humorous and in rare cases, may even make it into the album, but it also can serve as documentation supporting the above clause.