why the slow trickle of lenses?

I have some incredible news. Leica reps work for Leica not for dealers. They get the spiel

from Leica and deliver it to dealers. They are paid salesmen with the gift of delivering

information in such a way that it convinces others. Maybe their story is true...and maybe it

isn't. I suspect it is true, but then it becomes a matter of poor management if there is a

shortage. Can't have it both ways.

Just out of curiousity, can someone point to a company that gets it right every time in terms

of supply meeting demand? Never has a shortage? Never has an oversupply?

Sony is a mess. Canon can't deliver IdIII's, and is way behind on the IDsIII (at least according

to the schedule of the internet 'experts' who were sure 22Mpixels would be the 'standard' by

PMA 2006 - now I hear "August 2007"). Apple has been all over the map over the years.

Not to dump on or defend any of those companies - or Leica. But if it's really so easy to hit

the mark all the time - where's the beef?

Of course this never happens with the big guys.

Take Nikon, for instance. The 18 - 200mm VR Nikkor zoom lens was introduced in 2005. Motor on over to your local camera store and find one -- not packaged as a kit with a camera you don't want (or already own), just the lens.

Go on. I dare ya. :-)

At a recent 'demo day' at a large and reputable dealer in my area, I asked the Nikon rep about that. He shook his head and laughed.