article on Ring Flash technique

i?ll try... the character of the ringlight on the subject changes with the camera position. is it difficult to find a good camera position and still get a good light ?

for example if you want to shoot a person from below, it might look strange if the light gets inside the nose.

D.

David,

I'm glad we are in agreement. The "in your face" look is such a trite cliche, but I think we both know that most people who buy or rent any ring flash will never get beyond that very obvious use. I think Paul Buff has tried to go beyond that with the modifiers (Moon Units, grids) he has introduced, unfortunately you'd never know that from the images heuses in his ads. You should see the variations that Balcar has devised. One way I like to use the ABR800 + Moonunit is to create what I call "invisible fill".

Nicely done, Ellis! I also like the Marine shot - you did a great job on that!

I've not played with my ABR800 much lately due to personal stuff hitting the fan but the last time I did use it, I tried it with a softbox, using it much less subtlely than you, but still appreciating it more in terms of incorporating it with other lights as opposed to the "deer in the headlights" look it can give when used alone.

Here's a link to a model shot (warning: she's nude but covering up the "naughty bits") where I used the ringflash with an AB800 in a relatively large (octagon) softbox just off camera right:

http://www.photo.net/photo/5812501

It was getting late and I didn't even mess with ratios; I pretty much just nuked her! ;-)

If you look closely you can see I picked up a bit of red-eye - which isn't hard to do sometimes since the ringlight literally envelopes the lens.

Funny thing - I've bought the modifiers and have yet to try them! One of these days...