12.2MP digicam announced

"...Panasonic announced a new Lumix camera Monday that squeezes a wide-angle

lens, a 12.2-megapixel sensor and a novel way of extending zoom lens range

into a compact camera..."

<p>

More info here:<a href=" http://news.com.com/Panasonic+gooses+megapixels,+zoom/2100-

1041_3-6185337.html">http://news.com.com/Panasonic+gooses+megapixels,+zoom/2100-1041_3-6185337.html</a>

Larger sensors mean larger lenses and larger cameras.

Smaller cameras with more pixels is the way to sell cameras and make more money. The average consumer buys on megapixels, the more the better.

I fully expect to see a 16MP small sensor digicam in the next year or two.

The ideas that work are the wider angle lens and the antishake (I love my Canon SD800IS). I don't know about 12mp being necessary for the mass market (how big is everyone really printing?). To me, more mp = more memory and battery power used, although it does leave substantial 'pixel headroom' for cropping.

Got to love the marketing sizzle...if this camera's an SLR, I'm the Pope. Also love the 'Leica' marked on the lens. My dad's IIIc was marked 'E. Leitz Wetzlar' on the lens, and the body was marked 'Leica'. I bet lotsa folks will buy it, though.

Cap it at 6mp, or at most 8mp. Work on improving noise and in camera image processing. Through in anti-shake and work on improving the angle of view (wide angle = good) and also improve the quality of the zoom.

Until the sensors get bigger all you get is more noise with more pixels, just what I want.

I use a Canon A610 and rarely print to

5 by 7 even.

Most of the digital pics i view in my computer,

unless they are special or i enter a contest or whatever.

Its crazy to keep putting more pixels in a small dinky cam when for same or less one

can buy a DSLR!

A company like Sony or Panasonic makes a new digital cam

and crams it full of gadgets and useless bells and wistles.

Then they paste their name on it and what we end up with is

a newer version of the same thing all bloated up with

novelty stuff nobody really needs.

If it didn't sell, they wouldn't make it. They're not generally dumb and they have pretty good market research departments. They make what they think people will buy. Nobody may need it, but that's very, very different from nobody wants it.

If people only bought what they needed, the whole economy would collapse.

Another way to look at this is that even the dirt cheap CMOS processes these days are sub-micron. They basically can get this many photo-sites for free (well at the cost of total area dedicated to sensing because of the increased number of non-sensing components). I personally wouldn't mind a whole mess of photo-sites as long as that 3MP picture it spits out in the end is good. On the other hand there is no way in heck I am tossing my 20D to get one of these guys ;)

• 2 weeks later...