New Lens

manut

I am an ametuer having a E 500 with the standard kit lens 14-45 and 40-150

lens. After using them for sometime, I now want to upgrade to faster lenses. I

searched the net and got myself confused, and what better forum than the

expert's here at photo.net.

1) Does a variable focal length macro (sigma 18-50/2.8) also do the work of a

standard lens (zuiko 14-54/2.8-3.5) for normal photography ?

2) When we say 105/2.8 macro, this means the fical length is fixed all the

time or can be reduced and can this lens be used in normal photography ?

I was thinking for the 14-54/2.8-3.5 and 50-200/2.8 as an option, but it

depends on the above confusion I have. If these lenses can be used in place of

14-54, i will use one of these and have macro capability also.

Thanks,

Here's a short answer:

!. The Sigma 18-50 zoom would work similar to the Olympus 14-54, in being able to focus for normal photography. But as you see, the focal length numbers are not identical between the two. The Olympus has a wider zoom range (can shoot more wide angle and more telephoto). By the way, the Sigma is not really a true macro lens. They call it that because it can focus a little closer then usual.

2. A 105/2.8 is a fixed focal length lens and cannot be zoomed. It's a telephoto lens. If the subject did not fit well in the viewfinder, you would have to move closer or farther from the subject.

I don't own either the Olympus 14-54 and 50-200, but many people have made positive comments about them.

This brief article shows the minimum focus distance for all of the lenses currently on the market for the E series. You will notice that the 14-54,one of the popular "step up" models made by Oly, has a real close minimum focus. It is very popular,as is the 50-200 mm zoom. I like my 14-54mm a lot and it has become my standard lens.

With the teleextender-and the add on extension tube-one can get even closer. So, as the man says,"macro" is as macro/close focus does...to get 1:1 you may need to do more research... For a pure fixed focal length macro, the fixed 35mm is known a good choice. And the 50mm is a very useful fixed focal length with great light gathering ability and has a good working distance. You have choices,depending on your budget of course,sir.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/lenses.html

Thanks Ron and Gerry. I will wait for the macro alittle more. It seems that a 1.4 teleconvertor gives me good advantage in both lens and coupled with the 2 factor of the olympus system makes 560 mm

Thanks for your advice

Manu

One problem with the 1.4 tc is that you lose "1 stop" of light.

Your standard kit lenses are F3.5-5.6 and F4-5.6. As you increase the focal length as you zoom-in the F stop effectively gets dimmer towards F5.6.

Most digital SLRS will not accurately AF when the lens F-stop exceeds f5.6, ie when you add the 1.4 tc F4 effectively becomes f5.6 and F5.6 effectiely becomes F8, as the light levels fall and contrast reduces the AF system struggles to accurately focus hence it begins to hunt for focus lock

The Oly E system semi pro 14-54mm and 50-200mm have f stop ranges of F2.8-3.5 so when the TC is added the effective F stop remains below F5.6