Lightroom won't import RAW files

After succesfully importing about 3700 RAW file from a Pentax K10D, Lightroom is now rejecting similar

files at this time. Thumbnails appear in the import preview window, but after going through the Import

process, I get a message saying "The following files were not imported. Different errors occured for

different files"

The same occurs if I try to import to iPhoto.

As far as I know, I have not changes my process in any way. I shoot in RAW PEF and have tried

downloading via a memory card reader and directly from the camera.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Rob

I have over 300Gb of space left on the hard drive. I have not done a library corruption check.

How is that done?

Also of interest is the fact that iPhoto cannot open the same files, but RAW Developer can.

I spoke with Adobe technical support, who thought that the problem lay outside their

program.

I think Adobe is saying the right thing. Something is mucked up in the file system, that's

affecting both iPhoto and Lightroom.

You should start up the system from a Mac OS X install disk and run the Disk Utility. Pick

all the drives and do a Verify operation. If any problems show up, do a Repair. Same for

permissions.

To have Lightroom check for library corruption, start Lightroom while holding down the

Option key. A dialog will be presented with the option to do a database validation check.

Godfrey

Godfrey, I have a PC, and when I start Lightroom while holding down the Alt key, I don't get the validation check option you speak of. Do you happen to know what the process is for a PC?? Also where does a person learn about such options, as there is no instruction material worth anything included with the Lightroom CD, and a search of 'help' doesn't even mention a Library corruption check. Thanks, Joe.

Joe,

<br><br>

The Library check option is in the same dialog window used when you're creating a new

library or choosing which library to open. On Windows, holding down the Alt key when you

start Lightroom should bring up that dialog: you hold down the Alt key and double click

on the Lightroom icon, keep holding the key down until it puts the dialog up.

<br><br>

Another way to bring up the dialog is to set the Preferences: in the General tab, set the

first popup in the "Default Library" section to "Prompt me when starting Lightroom". With

that set, every time you start Lightroom it will put up the dialog, and from there you can

tell it to check the library database for corruption before opening it.

<br><br>

Information about using Lightroom is available from several sources: <br>

- the Lightroom help<br>

- online video tutorials ... I like the ones done by Michael Tapes that are at <a

href="http://www.rawworkflow.com" target=new>www.rawworkflow.com</a>,

Michael Reichmann also did an excellent instructional video set on <a href="http://

www.luminous-landscape.com" target=new2>www.luminous-landscape.com</a>. Adobe

has a few tutorials on their website too, and there are some others.<br>

- the books by Scott Kelby and Martin Evening<br>

<br>

I use Lightroom extensively now and make it a point to explore a new chapter in Scott or

Martin's books for a little while every day. But what bootstrapped me into using it very fast

were Michael Tapes' video tutorials.

<br><br>

Godfrey

Robert, I am not sure this has been answered. However, I had the exact thing happen to me this past Memorial Day. I had tried everything that I could think of, by the way I shoot with the K100D. I switched cards 3 times to no such luck, what finally worked for me was to install camera raw and DNG all over again from adobe. After I had re-installed that, my raw files were supported again.

Hope this helps.

David C.

Follow up: I tried Godfrey's suggestions to no avail. Then I decided to remove and replace

the camera battery and then re-format my memory cards. Problem solved. Must have been

some corruption of the memory cards in the camera.

Whatever the problem, I'm back in business.

Rob