Canon's equivalent of Nikon D50

The simple answer is NO. Any Canon D-SLR has more to offer.

Nikons use a CCD, Canons a CMOS sensor. IMO the CMOS sensor provides better pictures, period.

Plus any Canon lens made since 1990 works on any Canon D-SLR ever made. With Nikon you do not have this option.

However the image quality difference is rarely noticeable. If you like the feel and the layout of one particular camera then go for it.

Hope this helps.

IMHO, Nikons offer superior handling and build at any given price point - certainly the D50 is a step higher than the 300D type range. Once you go to the D70 & D70s, you also get built in remote wireless flash capability. Add in things like spot metering, auto contrast and auto ISO settings, (on all models) Nikons will, generally speaking, offer a better feature set than equivalent Canon models.

Finally, any Nikon lens made since 1959, will fit on any Nikon DSLR. What may vary is whether you get metering or in some cases (D40, D40x) AF.

FP Anderson, May 23, 2007; 01:13 a.m. wrote:

<br>

<br>> The simple answer is NO. Any Canon D-SLR has more to offer.

<br>>

<br>> Nikons use a CCD, Canons a CMOS sensor. IMO the CMOS sensor

<br>> provides better pictures, period.

<br>

<br>I don't think that's the case anymore. Recent magazine reviews have said the D40 has an edge over the equivalent Canon(s) in high ISO performance, which is where Canon has traditional be superior to Nikon.

<br>

<br>> Plus any Canon lens made since 1990 works on any Canon D-SLR

<br>> ever made. With Nikon you do not have this option.

<br>

<br>Actually, any Nikon AF lens built from 1986 and onward will mount, autofocus, and meter on the D50, and any other Nikon DSLR except the D40/D40x, which require AF-S lenses in order to autofocus. Older manual focus lenses from about the mid '70's will mount and can be used on any Nikon DSLR, but only the mid- to high-end DSLRs such as the D200 and higher can meter with them. So if your point is that Nikon bodies are more limited in backward compatibility with lenses, I think you are mistaken.

<br>

<br>> However the image quality difference is rarely noticeable.

<br>

<br>First, you say that "the CMOS sensor provides better pictures, period.", and then you say that the difference is rarely noticeable?

<br>

<br>That kind of negates the "period" aspect of your earlier assertion, doesn't it?

<br>

<br>IMO, since the OP didn't mention any specific requirements, either Canon or Nikon entry level models will probably suit her. So in that case, I do agree with your last point.

<br>

<br>larsbc

Let's not forget the D50's matrix metering. It meters 420 segments in red, green, and blue. It then compares what it sees to a database of 30,000+ images to determine an exposure value. The Rebel meters 35 zones in gray. The D50 has a spot meter the Rebel does not. In all honestly the average consumer doesn't need a spot meter and the Canon matrix meter is excellent. Neither camera will make you a better photographer!

Above I closed my spiel with:

"If you like the feel and the layout of one particular camera then go for it"

What I am talking about is creativity in relationship to your tools and how important this is for you.

Pick up the camera and use it, most stores will let you take it outside. Bring your own flash card and later review the images.

Also review the user interface, the menus etc. IMO Canon scores highly here, the Nikon requires a steeper learning curve for access to the controls.

Hope this helps!

FP Anderson

Thanks everyone.

What does CCD and CMOS stand for?

I have the Nikon D50 now and was thinking of swtichting to a Canon that is similar. I am doing alot of portrait photography and I am getting into weddings. I want something that is a decent price, but that also can produce fabulous pictures (I know beatufiul pictures also has to do with knowing what to do.

Do any Canon cameras offer white balance assistance?