chris_andro

I am ready to buy a new lens this week for my D70s, as a start towards

building a system with reasonably fast lenses. I want to improve on the

optics from what I've been using, (a Tamron 28-300, 3.5-6.3, from my film

days). I want to limit the number of lens changes so I'm hoping to cover from

about 18 to 200 with 2 or 3 lenses for general use. I'll keep macros and

specialty lenses as a seperate issue. I am limiting myself to under $600 US

for a wide zoom, & under $1000 US for a tel zoom, so the Nikkor 17-50, 2.8 &

the Nikkor 70-200,2.8 won't be an option.

I'm thinking or the Nikkor 80-200,2.8 for the long end, (any better

suggestions would be greatly appreciated).

In the mid range, I am considering the 35-70,2.8, but am affraid that its

short zoom distance might be limiting and that it might not be a necessity

lens between the wide & tel zooms.

The short end is where I am most troubled. I am considering the Tamron 17-50,

2.8. Would like Nikkor but the $$$. Tokina is promising a 16-50, 2.8, I

think?

Any suggestions or advice, especially about lenses that you've used would be

very helpful. I am curious about how close, in end result, the Tamron 17-50

comes to the Nikkor equivalent, and or the old Tamron that I have?

Thank you all in advance!

<i>"I'm thinking or the Nikkor 80-200,2.8 for the long end,"</i>

<p>

Very good choice if you're considering the AFD version, available new from B&H (USA) for $869. Be sure you get the HB-7 hood for it too. Nikon making you pay extra for that was one of those, "I can't believe Nikon didn't include that!" moments.

<p>

I am a fan of the 35-70 as well, but I think I'd reserve judgment on that in your case until you resolve the shorter zoom question. If you end up with a good choice that gets you out to 50mm or better, you may find the 35-70 redundant if you're trying to save money.

<p>

You could do worse than the 18-70 'kit lens' for a cost-effective solution in the short range. Should be a noticeable improvement over the mega zoom you're packing now.

Interesting that you want to go the 18-200mm range. Nikon makes that very lens, with vibration reduction that's said to gain you something between the equivalent of 1 to 3 stops (depending on who you hear it from).

You could stick a lot of money back in your pocket going that route (within around $100 or so of a 12-24mm). I got mine for my D70s (now the backup to a D200), and never looked back.

"I am limiting myself to under $600 US for a wide zoom, & under $1000 US for a tel zoom, so the Nikkor 17-50, 2.8 & the Nikkor 70-200,2.8 won't be an option."

Think again about the way you are boxing yourself in with arbitrary numbers. Consider instead spending $1200 for a new Nikkor 17-55/2.8 and $500 for a used Nikkor 80-200/2.8 for a total of $1700. The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is well liked and costs $450 new, which would leave you with enough for a Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 12-24 (both around $500 new), and that's 3 lenses covering 10 or 12mm to 200mm, f/2.8 above 17mm, with just a relatively small gap between 55mm and 80mm.

Ultra-wide: Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 12-24; Std zoom: Tamron 17-50mm or Nikkor 17-55; Tele zoom: Nikkor 80-200 or Sigma 70-210 f2.8. In all cases you need to be prepared to try different samples to make sure you get a good one. You can mix & match to fit the budget.

I think this it pretty well what Anthony said!

Sigma EX 18-50 f2.8 Macro New version $429.00 Excellent lens considered on par optically with the Nikkor 17-55.

Sigma EX 70-200 f2.8 Macro roughly the same price as the 80-200 optically very comparable but the Sigma has the same AF motor as the Nikkor 70-200 without the VR. Sigma has excellent build, faster AF, and a lens hood.