Is tripod mount necessary for 70-200mm L

dave.englund

I just purchased a Canon 70-200mm USM L-lens (can't afford the IS stuff) for

use on my 30D. Is a lens tripod mount absolutely necessary for this setup? I'm

going on a trip and have a bit of a tight budget and the tripod mounts seem

pretty spendy (over $100) at Adorma. Will a week of shooting do damage to the

30D's lens mount? Or, is the tripod mount more a matter of convenience?

I use mine without a tripod all the time. I've seen others even use 100-400 without a tripod. So I'd say no it won't damage your mount. However, I've also seen 3rd party lens tripod mounts for $60. I think it was B&H maybe Adorama has them too. Eventually you'll probably want one. But for this trip go for it.

I've shot hundreds of photos without a tripod with the 70-200mm F4. You don't need one for the F4. It doesn't even come with a tripod mount ... it's an accessory. Of course, a tripod will help improve quality. The F2.8 is another story.

Eric is right. I bought the tripod collar when I bought my 70-200 f/4L last summer and I think I've used it once. It's ridiculously expensive and totally unnecessary for this lens. You will not damage your lens mount in the least by not using it. Spend the money on your vacation and enjoy your 70-200. It's a great lens.

The tripod collar isn't neccessary for the 70-200 f4L, although it does provide better balance. I've used mine many times without one with no problems. Where it does come in very handy is when you want to quickly switch between horizontal and vertical orientation, or tweak the horizontal or vertical alignment of your image without unlocking your tripod head. Fortunately the tripod collar that came with my 400mm f5.6L also fits the 70-200 f4L, so I didn't have to buy one. I do think the price for a Canon brand collar is exorbitantly expensive. I was interested to read others have seen 3rd party ones for $60. I will have to check that out.

It's not necessary, but it can be very useful.

Why not get the Canon 1.4x. No point in buying an expensive lens, then looking for a cheaper TC to put on it. I'm sur ethe Kenco will "work". Any EOS EF mount TC should be functionally compatible.

<p>I think I don't get the whole story here. </p>

Just to be sure: <br>

- You don't get a lense mount for the 70-200 1:4 (both IS & non IS?)<br>

- Dave, you want to use a tripod but you want to mount it on the camera or is it possible that damage occurrence when you use a lense without a tripod (I use 70-200 1:2 IS and 100-400 often without tripod)

<p>thanks Jakob</p>

If you actually use a a tripod and constantly flip between horizontal and vertical the Tripod

Ring is worth its weight in gold. Much easier than using the head for the same. Otherwise,

don't bother.

My Tripod Mount A fits my EF 200 2.8L USM, 70-200 4L USM and 300 4L USM.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

people say that the Kenko Pro and Tamron SP 1.4x teleconverters (note these are upgrades from their cheaper 1.5x teleconverters) are comparable to the Canon 1.4x converter, when used on 1.6 bodies. On FF there's a demonstrable resolution falloff on the edges, and indeed I haven't been very happy with the Kenko Pro 1.4 on my 5D.

Dave, it mostly depends on the light. As long as you can keep your shutter speed above 1/200th at 200mm and above 1/70th at 70mm you should be fine. If you have to slow your shutter speed below that you should use some kind of a rest (door frame, railing or what ever). Good shooting, Bill