Ringlight for Portraits?

dbcooper

I'm intrigued with portraits that have a 3-D-ish quality and 'halo' shadow to

them that were lit with a ringlight. I know absolutely nothing about ringlights

other than seeing online pics at the usual suspects' e-stores, and that they are

mainly used by dentists and doctors and macro folks.

I'm looking for advice on a setup for portraits. I use a D200, and 18-200 and

12-24 zooms, and/or a Mamiya 7II w/80 and 150mm lenses.

The advice I need is: which ringlight to get? For using film, what filter(s), if

any, to use? What to watch out for, and any other advice to steer me right.

Besides the offbeat portrait lighting, I may make photos of little critters,

bugs and flowers in the future.

Thanks in advance for your sage responses.

The ringlights used in beauty, glamour and portrait photograpy are different than the ones used in dental, medical and macro photography.

The ringlights used for macro photography are very small and low powered. The ringlights used in beauty and portrait photography are much larger and more powerful.

Alien Bees makes a cheap ringlight that you might be interested in for portrits though I've heard that the plastic mount heats up and warps occasionally.

Thanks for your response, Brooks. I'm trying to see if there's anything useful that attaches to the front of the camera lens and is portable. I'm not really looking for studio portrait results, but more along the lines of offbeat casual portraits. At this point, I think I might be chasing 'wind in sails', but hopefully someone here has seen or done something similar.

I dont like ringlights but if I were gonna get one... get the cheapest one on the market that also is the second best on the market... the Alienbees ABR800 ringlight. 320 watt seconds (pretty powerful) and you can use the innovatronix tronix explorer 1200 (power souce) or even the alienbee vagabond (portable power source made by Alienbees).

The ring light for what you are after are the more expensive powerful ones made by profoto, Elinchrom and Broncolor. I personally use the profoto 7B version when I need to; great colour consistency and packs loads of power for full length fashion shots.

Rent one out and see how you get on with it to buy will cost you about ?3000 with power pack not sure how much in the states.

Both Lumedyne and Alien Bees make Ringlights that are very portable. The +/-$600 AB one is about 300ws (with their Vagabond pack) and the +/-$2500 Lumedyne is good for up to 1600ws (the device used to generate 1600ws would be painfully heavy to carry, but a 400ws pack with battery is easily carried in a fanny pack). <p>The AB light is only $325 and the Lumedyne is I think $1200. It's their respective portable power supplies that add to their cost. Note that the Alien Bee is complete with AC power @ $325.00. Quite the bargain... t<p>Let me add that from personal experience, I have found being photographed with a ring light is, at best, unpleasant. In order to make "eye contact" the subject must look directly into the very bright and generally un-diffused light. It actually hurts. Amateurs will complain, pros will want hazardous duty pay.

"The ring light is very harsh on the eyes and anoying to the subject. What helps a little bit

is having the soft reflector for it."

Not if you know what you're doing! Check out www.danwintersphoto.com. I love the way

he uses his ringlight.

as I said, "in order to make eye contact..."<p>Notice how many people in DW's photos are NOT making eye contact with the camera. The ones who do, I'll bet only do it a very few times, and those professional actors know exactly how to "look" when you are ready. Non professional subjects do not have the necessary experience to give you the "look" on demand. Angelina Jolie has "the look" in her sleep. The photographer only has to be ready... t

I had the very real pleasure of interviewing Dan Winters a couple of years ago for Professional Photographer magazine. He said he very, very rarely uses a ringlight. More often he gets what you think is a "ringlight" look by using multiple heads. That way he can adjust each source seperately to absolutely control the light to create exactly the effect he wants.

The interview is here:

http://www.ppmag.com/articles/article.php?article_id=19

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...