i love canon stuff but i curse the software

Hi All after a long time

Ive been professional photographer with only a 20D for the 2 past years (yes

that can e done), now i bought a second body (30D) and its cool allright!

Now i shoot both cameras and when i upload the two of them have same folder

names and i wanna dump them in my working folder....duh have to give it

different names....I hate it!

I guess its just a complaint....but the 30D still has this folder stuff on it

instead of of just giving me directly the shots without the folder

shit.......its nice cameras, but comming back from frustrating warzones in nepal

i fight a different war on my laptop.

Iam dieing to kill a canon guy these days

But i am cool with sympathisants though!

Why don't you just set each camera to a different folder number? My 5D has a "Select Folder"

option in the menu and you can manually reset the folder number. Probably the 30D is the

same (the 20D lacks folder reset).

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I am not sure if the 30D has the same feature as the 5D. But that is not a problem.

Tom, there zillions of different ways to download your images to you r laptop. Every decent photo software has a way to set up to what folder to download and how to change the file names during the download. I think the cameras should take the pictures and your computer should do all the other stuff.

You just need a good workflow and not to blame the camera that it is not a computer.

Miklos

What I would like to see is a software that can take photos from multiple selected folders with selectable multiple format types (including raw) and rename them chronologically with prefix or suffix 00001 to 99999 and the option of putting everything into one folder or leaving each file in it's original folder but still rename them.

what I mean by "selectable multiple format types" is that you can say choose to only take the RAWS+Jpegs into account and not count the Tiffs or you can choose to only say be modifying file names of jepgs and leave others untouched or look at all of them.

It should also beable to have a section that handles exceptions, so you can select the files you don't want counted.

Weiyang,

The way to do this is to install a unix shell on your PC and write a pearl script to do whatever you like. All I do is pop my memory card into my reader and execute a script which copies, sorts, renames, verifies, makes a backup and finally erases the images from the card with no intervention required on my part. This has saved me countless hours of time and does exactly what I want with no compromises. If you have the inclination, it's worth doing something similar yourself.

Dunno how your downloading, I use ZB and never see folders just thumbnails, I select the images I want to D/L and dump into the same folder via card reader, 4 different cameras with CF & SD. I`ve been doing pro with 20d`s as well before that D30 since its release. Must be missing something you said.

It's pretty generally agreed that the preferred way to download is by using a card reader and (assuming you're on a PC rather than a MAC), the natural tool is Windows Explorer. So the first point to make is that Canon - or, indeed, any special-purpose - software, good or bad, is completely irrelevant.

If you have multiple cameras, just make a folder for each one, called by some inspired names like "20D" and "30D", and copy the files from the CF card from the 20D to the 20D folder and similarly for the 30D. This will completely avoid any name conflicts, either of subfolders or of files, and you can than rename and reorganise your files to your heart's content. This is a complete non-problem. Relax and enjoy.

Ever since my first digital (Canon G2) and now my 20D (also my Cassio) I use the Windows default downloader (Camera & Scanner wizard I think) to get my images either direct from the camera or more often from the pc's card reader. Using the card reader I can get both jpg and RAW with the same title (but different extention) and that title can be whatever I want it to be i.e. date & name or whatever plus an index number up to 999 (enough for me for one day). Every pc running on XP will have this downloader and I would not choose anything else.

Uploading directly from my 20D to my PC via USB wire is faster for me than the card readers I have. I use Windows Explorer. I take so many school related photos for so many uses that I create ample directories on my PC (I use an external HD): Football; Basketball; etc. The most helpful thing I do is after editing a batch of photos I rename them with a date name, e.g. 070525BS 001, 070525BS 002, etc. (That would be 2007, May 25, Baseball.) So if a year from now someone asks about a particular photo from our web site, I know the date it was made by the file name, to more easily find it in my archives.

I use DIM, a free downloading program that flattens Canon's folder structure and renames the files by date and time as it loads them. It will work with a card reader or direct from the camera. My two 20Ds are both loaded into the same folder, the names never get confused, and the files are all in chronological order for use with any other program. I generally rename them later or have DIM add a descriptor when it loads.

http://www.alanlight.com/dim/Dim.htm

• 1 month later...

Ill check it out! it looks promising. But for along time i realised i am only good in taking photoos and the editing is - apart of PS - a complete hassle to me. like i said in the threat...sympahtising comments comfort me. it all just takes so f***ng much time. Check out on www.onasia.com (top story on 27-06-07) what i did without your help.

BTW: i still dont like canons software: it looks very childish and when scrolling through RAW files i have to go to different menues and screens....this is not enjoyable at all....where is the fun?