Canon 35mm f/1.4L Size and replacment?

marknagel

I think I am going to buy a 35/1.4 in the next month or so. No one has this

lens locally (Minnesota). I had two questions...actually one question and one

prediction request.

1. Does anyone have a link that compare the size of this lens to other lenses so

I can see how big it actually is? Is it 85/1.8 size or closer to the 24-70L?

Anyway I looked and couldn't find anything showing the size difference.

2. How long has this lens been out? Any rumors o it being replaced? I'm not

looking for newer model, I just saw how much I could have saved if I waited a

few months on my 16-35L. Not a deciding factor, just don't want to buy it now

if it been rumored to be replaced this fall.

Mark

I had this lens for a while and frankly, was a bit disappointed in it. Simply wasn't sharp at all (maybe I just got a bad sample of that lens...?!). Anyway, I returned it and bought a used Carl Zeiss 35/1.4 which I used with an adapter on my Canon 5D. It made me totally happy and I ended up buying several more Carl Zeiss lenses in the wide angle range. These lenses are not only significantly sharper than Canon's, they are also much smaller!

Berni, I use Fotodiox (Ebay store and a regular website) Contax/Carl Zeiss-to-EOS adapter on a 1D but I think a 5D should be no problem. Cost was $35. They have a "pro" version but I don't see a major advantage. There are a couple other companies that push their adapters at >$150. Don't see any advantage to these other high-priced adapters when the Fotodiox one allows for infinity focus and is made of solid metal as well as provides tight mount fit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fotodiox-Contax-to-EOS-Lens-Adapter-NEW_W0QQitemZ220043706932QQihZ012QQcategoryZ30059QQcmdZViewItem

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fotodiox-Contax-C-Y-lens-Canon-EOS-mount-adapter-PRO_W0QQitemZ230004347498QQihZ013QQcategoryZ30059QQcmdZViewItem

WW,

I'd like this for weddings, I carry a 24-70L, 16-35L and 50/1.4. I'd like to replace the 50 with the 35, and the 24-70L is too big to carry as is, but from the photos, I was expecting it to be that big and thats too much to carry around in my vest.

m

I use the 35/1.4 all the time. It is sharp enough. It's autofocus is fast enough. I like the

proportions at the focal length. The color and contrast are excellent. I can shoot

handheld with available light at dusk. It'll do weddings and street photos well without a

flash.

It's not huge, but it is relatively heavy. And the weight is right at the front of the lens, so if

you are attaching it to a light camera your center of mass will be in front of your hands.

The lens has been out a long time. I doubt it's a big candidate for replacement. It's too

short for IS to be of any use. The current version already has a ring USM autofocus motor

and no big flaws. And, of course, it's a prime. I think Canon has a lot of lenses they'd

rather spend their R&D cash on.

As for the mentioned alternative, if you need f1.4, f2.8 just won't cut it. If you can live

with f2.8, the 16-35 is a real workhorse. I have used both. For what I shoot, the 35 is a

better fit.

Hi,

I haven't much to add to all the good info provided, but I think you have touched on soemthing I've noticed in the EF lens lineup.

I've often wished Canon would offer a lens in between the 35/1.4 and the 35/2... Something compact, but with USM especially. Manual focus override is the biggest deal to me. To me speed isn't the issue, f2.0 is marginally fast enough, I've used a number of 35/2s in other systems over the years. Optically, I have heard plenty of good reports about the current EF 35/2, so that's not an issue either. It would also be nice if any such lens shared the 58mm filter thread size of a lot of other common Canon primes.

I think there's a similar gap between the 24/1.4 and 24/2.8.

Of course, nothing is very likely to happen. Today most buyers choose zooms for convenience, so that's where the manufacturers put most of their efforts.

Back in the FD "New"-era, there was a concerted and very successful effort by Canon to make their entire system as compact as possible. That's sure gone by the wayside, ever since the first EOS camera and EF lens came out.