Rollei 35 shutter problem

The Compur shutter on my Rollei 35 (the original f/3.5 Tessar version) works

fine on speeds of 1/30 and above, but all slower speeds perform as 'B' (shutter

remains open until button is released).

I would guess that some little escapement is failing to engage. The camera is

essentially valueless, and I'm pretty handy, so I'm not averse a home repair.

Can anyone advise me what the fault is likely to be, and how to access the shutter?

Jonathan,

Bought a Rollei 35 for 7Euro (~9$) at a yard sale; low price because "shutter is nort working" (slow speeds stuck, just like yours). Opened, stuffed Kleenex into lens tube, and sprayed WD-40 into the sides of the main body (yes I know, this is BAD). Has been working fine for the past 2 years. Some day I'll try to do a better clean and lubrification.

Bernard

Juts an update to my situation.

Before starting this thread, I tried the slow shutter speeds over and over again while I watched the visible mechanics, trying to figure out what might be sticking. Thanks to Matthew, I downloaded the official Rollei repair manual, and I studied a few threads on the RF forum showing pictures of dismantled 35s.

When I laid out my tools on a quiet evening, ready to dismantle the beast, I once again ran through the slow speeds. To my surprise, the escapement now kicked in, albeit hesitantly. After a little more 'exercise' of each shutter speed, the different speeds gradually sorted themselves out and all now work perfectly, with no need to dimantle anything. So, clearly a dried up grease issue, happily resolved. I guess the moral is to exercise all shutter speeds periodically to ensure even distribution of the lubricant, just as they advise with Leicas.

Thanks to all for your help.