Watermarking Pictures

If you submit pictures or portfolio to a company for their review, do you send

the pictures with a watermark. My personal feeling is yes, but they take away

from the picture. On the other hand anyone can use them. Any suggestions.

Thanks Carol

Hopefully you're not sending them to a place where you're actually worried that they'd violate your copyright and use your images without your permission. For purposes of them evaluating your eye and style, lower-res images will certainly do, and you can put your copyright info in a border. If they need to see a full-resolution shot, you can always just include a 100% crop from a section of an image that you've otherwise included, as a whole, only in a lower-resolution version. Otherwise, I just don't know if "I don't trust you" is the right message to send to someone that you're trying to get into business with. Just my thoughts.

The answer for me is yes. I have a portfolio with large photos that don't have watermarks but I carry that one with me all the time and it's for a presentation only. The potential client doesn't keep them. If they want to see an on-line version of it, an access is given to them to a portion of my web site and the shots are no more than small images at 72dpi. If I had to send in large prints as proofs there would be some kind of watermark on it, unless they are a current client and we are working together on a project which has an estalbished contract.

Now for suggestions you could sign the back of your photographs with a sharpie marker with your name just as a painter would for the front of his painting in addition to adding the copyright logo next to the name. And maybe even add the words - DO NOT COPY - as well. I doubt the client would still copy your shots with such warnings. And as mentionned by Matt adding at least a copyright on the front into a border reminds the client that your material cannot be used without permission.