Leica service by Leica

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone here has experience with shipping their Barnack Leica

back to Germany for service. I would like to return my IIIc to

as-new-as-possible condition. The shutter curtains should also need replacement,

from what I hear and read. Also, I may as well have the lens spiffed up while

they are at it. It is a Summitar 5cm f/2.

If you have experience with doing this, what was it? How are the prices for the

quality of service versus getting the job done at a local repair shop?

Thanks,

Keith

It is my understanding that Leitz/Leica will no longer service Barnack pattern cameras; all the spare parts inventory was sold to various service providers (perhaps DAG, Krauter, Kinderman, etc). Many of these services have accumulated spare parts from older cameras and are able to make indicted repairs and replacements; but Leica DOES NOT service cameras prior to the M series.

I've used DAG and have been happy with his work. Since you are in LA, I would also highly recommend Steve Choi in Culver City (on Sepulveda, near the late great Allied Train store). He bought the shop from the legendary repairman Rudy Lingg. Rudy was very careful about who he sold his business to when he retired and Steve has done a great job of quality service and great customer service. I've had a 50 coll. Summicron and IIIf fixed there.

John

Keith-

Since you are in Los Angeles, you may want to see Steven Choi at Steve Camera in Culver City. Web address: stevecamera.com

I have had him overhaul two collapsible summicrons. I have not yet had him do a body overhaul, but he'll be the one I use when the time comes. He is a nice guy, his prices are fair and he does really nice work. He specialized in Leica and Hasselblad.

He's on Sepulveda Blvd., just south of Culver and the 405 freeway intersection.

Keith-

Since you are in Los Angeles, you may want to see Steven Choi at Steve Camera in Culver City. Web address: stevecamera.com

I have had him overhaul two collapsible summicrons. I have not yet had him do a body overhaul, but he'll be the one I use when the time comes. He is a nice guy, his prices are fair and he does really nice work. He specializes in Leica and Hasselblad.

He's on Sepulveda Blvd., just south of Culver and the 405 freeway intersection.

Hello,

Thanks for the answers. I talked to Leica. 750 Euros for a CLA, and they have sold off all their parts, although they can replace shutter curtains. That is out of hand, so I am going to try Steven Choi. I like my regular guy Ed Wong at Whilton Camera Service in Pasadena, but I am not sure when the last time he worked on a Barnack Leica was.

Keith