Folder storage

I seem to have accumulated a number of folding cameras. Retinas, Bessas, a

Perkeo, a couple of old 120 Kodaks, and of course the 2x3 Graflex. Since

storage has become an issue, I'd appreciate suggestions as to the best way to

store these in between uses.

Open, on shelves? Closed, lined up in a drawer? Room light? Dark? Humidity-

controlled?

I'm using them all, as time permits, and as time permits I am slowly cleaning

them up and making small restorations and repairs.

I didn't set out in life to do this, but it appears that this is my lot in

life. It even interferes with fishing.

I live in the desert SW of the U.S. where humidity is not a problem, but dust is. My cameras are in glass-front bookcases for that reason. The folders I use often are usually closed, while those used less frequently are open for display. I don't have a rationale for that other than convenience. I think maybe the original quality of the materials in the bellows may be the biggest issue in how well they survive. The coated cloth bellows in later model Kodaks often deteriorate severely, while the real leather ones often hold up better. One sees suggestions for preservatives, dessicants, etc., but it might be worth talking to someone with museum-level credentials about the best ways to preserve such items.

Most museums rely heavily on humidity and temperature control to do most of the work! They also have filtration systems for the air conditioning to help out as well as UV coatings on windows if they have any windows at all, glass cases protect peices from both human skin contact as well as dust created by human skin dander. I would think the problem is that prevervation for the sake of preservation is a very different thing than matenience to ensure continued service from the camera. The very act of touching old papers, leathers and metals, exposes them to the fungus filled acidic oils and sweat on your skin. In that case, I would think handling the cameras is more damaging to them than either storage method. Store them in a cool, dry (but not too dry), dark place, and clean them after occassional uses and they should be fine.

I don't know either, both keeping them open or closed has technical reasons that look so convincing. Maybe there is no real difference?

I have found a folder that was kept in a drawer for years and years... I opened it and the bellows were perfect, the shutter less. But I cannot of course tell if they would have been perfect if stored open but inside a vitrine...

Yes, we had a similar post a few months back and it seemed there's 101 good and bad reasons for both keeping 'em folded and opened.

So you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Seeing as folders don't look all that attractive when folded, I prefer to keep mine opened so I can see the lens and the shiny bits. However, I'm fortunate that I have glass-fronted cupboards to keep 'em displayed in, but the dust out.

OK, no clear answer is as good as an answer. They've been closed, lined up in a drawer, and that's the way it'll be for the foreseeable future.

I checked the other (referenced) thread, and of course that old curmudgeon, Dan Fromm, seemed to make the most cogent observation: what has changed since these cameras were new and were designed to be kept closed? (Yes, I know that 60 years later my chubby cheeks are no longer baby smooth, but both Dan and I have probably learned to live with that.)