Using Pentax 67 Lenses on EOS

ed_hurst

Hi there,

Does anyone know if there is a single adaptor available to allow this? I have a Pentax 67 300mm f4

EDIF lens that I'd like to try on my EOS... I know that I will only get stop down metering, but am

interested in the results... It is an outstandingly good lens on the Pentax, so I am hopeful it would be

good on an EOS.

I am guessing that it will need two adaptors - one to convert the 67 mount to a 35mm Pentax mount

and the other to convert that to the EF mount. But not sure. If there is a single adaptor that will do

this, that would be great.

Many thanks...

Thanks Chris - have just looked at their site, and I don't see one for Pentax 67. Of course

I could be missing it somehow...

However, I have found one on the www.zoerk.com site. Anyone got any experience of

these adaptors?

I have the Zork PSA (shift) adapter for Mamiya 645 lenses. Presumably you could get the Pentax 645 to Canon version and then get the adapter for using Pentax 6x7 lenses on the 645. I'd be surprised if anyone made a single adapter.

It's seriously pricey (over US$600; ouch!), but gives you 16mm of shift. It's a bit awkward to carry around, since it has a long threaded screw sticking up for the shift. If you don't need the shift, it'd be hard to justify the cost.

I think Zork also sells mount adaptors that are not shift adaptors. I have sent them an

email to check this, and also if it directly converts the Pentax 67 mount to Canon EF (or if

it converts it to something like T2 which can then be attached to a further adaptor to

convert T2 to EF). When I get a response, I'll post to let you all know...

Those ebay entries look interesting... Can't make out if they have optical components or if

they are just mount adaptors... Does anyone know? I'm really looking for something

without optical components (as extra glass is likely to reduce quality...)

It's simply that the longest lens I already own for my Canon is the 70-200 f2.8 L USM IS,

and I can't

currently afford anything longer. As I already have the Pentax 67 300mm f4 EDIF, which is

a

superb piece of glass on my 67's, I thought this might be a reasonable way of obtaining a

good 300.

I know what you're saying - medium format lenses tend to be built with a large image in

mind, and hence are lower quality per unit area covered. However, this is an exceptional

lens, and I thought it was worth a try if the adaptor is cheapish...

You also give up autofocus and dial up aperture, but at least you're in the sweet spot, the center, where IQ is apt to be pretty good. Also, as a rule medium format might produce lower IQ than 35mm, but results could well vary for individual lenses like yours. Makes sense to me given the low costs for 6x7 lenses I see on eBay and keh.com provided you're not shooting fast action. At one time I thought about eBuying a Pentax 645(?) 600mm for these reasons -- until I checked out the weight :-(

Your 70-200 with a Canon EF 1.4x would quite likely be superior to the medium format lens. It does not matter how good the medium format lens is since they simply are not designed to resolve as well as 35mm lenses. Especially when you are talking about the larger 6x7 format.

Another lens that costs about the same as a 1.4x is the Nikon 300mm f4.5 ED AIS manual lens, and it would be far superior to your zoom with a 1.4x. The cheap Nikon to EOS adapters are readily available and work well. I use lots of Nikon lenses on my EOS digital and film SLRs. Good luck!

I asked the seller if there is glass<p>....................................................................................<p>

<p>cirrusadapter( 836)

<p> Positive feedback: 100%

<p> Member since: Aug-23-05

<p> Location: 北京, China

<p> Registered on: www.ebay.cn

<p>

Item: Pentax 67 6X7 LENS adapter TO all Canon EOS SLR D-SLR (150102176680) <p>

This message was sent while the listing was active. <p>

cirrusadapter is the seller. <p>

Hi, No optical glass, No need to set optical glass. <p>

• 1 year later...

<p>35mm lenses sharper than Pentax 67? Totally the opposite. I have the Cirrus adapters and I have to say after mounting my P67 lenses on my Canon (1DsIII and 5D Mark II) the image quality is raised one big step up, like from 35mm to 645.<br>

Higher resolution on the 5us spacing sensor, no distorsions, no dark edges, no CA, smooth and 3D looking like in a dream.</p>

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
<p>Bruce, I just came across your feb 07 post - the short answer to your question is no. This is an issue that confused me at one time, but a 135mm lens always behaves like a 135mm lens, regardless of the format it was designed for. The field of view (FOV) will change if you change formats, but a 67 format 55mm lens will behave the same as a 55mm lens made for 645, 35mm film, or APS size digital sensors.</p>