o._wagner

I will be opening up my children's studio within a couple of weeks. It's a 20

x 12 space. I will be using natural hardwood floors, 2 painted white walls as

backdrops, as well as a black muslin curtain on tracks for a "third wall."

I am ordering an AB800 for main light and an AB400 for fill. I can't decide

between a large octabox or a giant softbox for my main light. I also can't

decide between a smaller softbox, a translucent umbrella, or a silver/white

umbrella for my fill light or background light. I would also be using the main

light for wedding portraits so whatever I buy must serve that purpose as well.

Can anyone help me out? I know octaboxes produce more pleasing catchlights,

but would a giant softbox suit me best for weddings? I really can't afford to

buy both. As for the fill light- would a smaller softbox produce more pleasing

light, or should I just go with the more cost effective umbrella- and if so,

which type?

There are few techinques of studio lighting when the main light is large (like huge octa)

and the fill is a small softbox or umbrella. However for standard lighting, when you work

with large sources the best fill would be large reflector - white or silver. I would

recommend 130-150 cm octa light for the key light.

try this... forget the octobox... get a 60inch white translucent umbrella from westcott. the only reason for the octa is the shape of the catchlight in the eye! an octogon is practically a circle anyway! spend bout $50 on 2 5ft (60inch) umbrellas that are shoot thru and get the same light quality! You even have the black back on them so that you will be able to bounce them and eleminate back spill. If light control is really an issue... just setup a PVC Pipe (paint it if you want "the" pro look!) stand and hang some black fabric to act as a gobo and shoot in bounce mode! Why 60 inch umbrellas you ask? Large souce soft light! As far as softboxes go... FORGET EM!!! Just build a light panel outta PVC and get some white ripstop nylon fabric from the fabric store (its the same material that diffuses softboxes) and make a panel. The light quality will be very similar to a softbox (especially if you add 2 black flags to your panel to block side spill).

Bottom line... beat the money spening urge with knowledge. I suggest you check out www.lightingmagic.com. White translucent umbrellas with black backs are very versatile (just not respected) and would do just fine for your wedding photography. Get a silver one as well (umbrellas are cheap!).

I have 5 different umbrellas and there is no way to get the light quality of elinchrom octa

when using "shot thru" umbrellas... Some silver or white umbrellas give nice lighting but

very different.