Affoardable case for Leica?

Recently I bought my first Leica, shortly after I decided that a good case was a

good idea for a bit of protection and peace of mind. Leica cases are expensive,

everything Leica is expensive. I've heard that there are cheaper alternatives,

perhaps form Voghtlander or similar....

Can anyone offer any suggestions? I have an M7 with 35 and 50 Summicrons so I

dont need anything to large.

Thanks folks

Rob

Forget affordable...if you have a Leica, cover it with the best...IMHO Leicatime, you won't regret it. It will make it easier to fondle and it looks soooo good. (I have no affiliation with either Leica or Leicatime.)

Before getting a Luigi half case, I used to use my Pentax spotmatic leather full case. A little tight, but worked quite well. Had a shoe repairman move the hole for the screw to match up on the one for the M6 (tripod mount location). Found a second one at an auction, formerly owned but apparently never used, which is now on the Pentax. I used to check the bins of used leather cases from SLR's at a camera shop/photo lab for one's that fit, but all of those places have closed. You might check your area. They're only a few dollars. Wonder where all that great, used camera peripherals ended up.

Used leather ERC's for Leica M's are often listed at seemingly affordable prices on eBay but be careful that they are sound! Pay particular attention to the stitching around the end where the securing screw is -- re-stitching in this area is for all practical purposes impossible. It requires removing the fixing screw and it is almost necessary to destroy it to remove it and enable repair of the stitching. Another thing is to watch out for is the attachment of the strap hangers to the body of the case. Even then, if you get a sound case you will find it big and clumsy with an enormous snout to accommodate the prime lens. Be prepared to pay up to fifty bucks or so for a good one. A new one will cost a couple of hundred.

Case? Been photographing for going on 40 years now and never owned a case for any of my

Leicas, Nikons, Maniya MF cameras. I put a case in the same category as a lens cap, neither

one improves the image, just gets in the way. Never saw the need and I use the sh*t out of

the

cameras. Then again if one is a gear fondler a glass case should work nicely.

Slingshot 200 is a good recommendation but it would be too large even for a motor-equipped M - it's really designed for a pro sized SLR with a prime or small zoom attached. Slingshot 100 AW would be just fine and would fit the extra lens, flash and film with room to spare. It's easily swung in front of you when you need to get something in/out of it and swung completely out of the way onto your back once you're done. Other advantages not mentioned are: the Slingshot looks like a small daypack rather than a camera bag or purse, and it also features a pull-out all-weather cover.

Heh, I just realized we're talking about Ever-Ready (*cough* never-ready *cough*) cases... and I agree with William John Smith. If you're that afraid to use a camera because of its monetary value, you couldn't afford it in the first place. Sell it and buy something you'll use.

I got Luigi to agree to build a black half case with slightly raised leather back (even with top plate) and side pieces, to afford a bit better protection without obstructing easy camera control. It more or less complies with my slight redesign suggestion to him (although the sides could be a bit higher than they are) and didn't cost me any more than the regular model (that may not be the case now).

I think I would go for the built in front grip if I need another. Not cheap, but well built and a nice fellow to deal with.

stick some masking tape around the strap lugs to prevent the plastic 'strap locks' from scratching the paint, this may look ugly, but gets the job done nicely . OR, you can use some thin plastic file holder covers, cut them into correct size, then insert them between the lug and the strap. <as shown in the pic on my old friend :-) >

then get a M grip (be it originals or from other brands) , it not only protects the base plate, but provide a firm grip as well.<div>00L5Ms-36452184.JPG.d0cbc92fe6f8375495d15f21aebf97af.JPG</div>

Since Rob mentioned one body and 2 lenses, I figured he was looking for a camera bag and not an eveready case. I always size to hold extra items such as film, flash, hand meter for incident or spot reading and a couple of filters. And from personal experience I leave room for two additional lenses or an extra body for the future. I have several small bags that I outgrew before they were too old.

I never used a case before for any of my cameras but I must admit I like the Ever-ready for the M. I load it for the day and don't reload in the field. I use this camera differetnly than I do other cameras and I feel the case keeps it protected when I don't use it for several hours and it is a heck of a lot easier than a bigger bag.

I guess it all depends on what you are doing with the camera. Right now I might as well have the 35mm cron welded on to the body, that lens works very well with the M for me.

I use a Leica eveready case with large snout #14515 for R5+ Vario Elmar 28-70, a soft case #14520 for RE + Elmarit-R 19/2.8 and another

Leica case for R4+Summicron 50/2.<P> Leica genuine leather cases

are very well made. The 14515 and 14520 were bought new, the other

one bought used on ebay. You may be able to find a Leica case on

ebay to fit your budget.