spot in pictures

revolver

I got a K100D a few months ago and have been shooting pictures of many things.

today I noticed some spots when I looked at some pictures of the sky but

thought it was my computer monitor.

I cleaned the screen to find out is must have been the lens or the mirror of

the camera. I cleaned the lenses and the mirror with a camera lens cloth and

found 1 spot that keeps showing up.

notice the spot on the wall to the upper right of the picture. I checked some

photos I took at easter and this spot wasnt there?

any ideas?

No, not with a cloth until you read extensively on cleaning sensors. Get yourself a Giottos

Rocket blower to blow dust off the sensor (the dust removal works marginally well at best).

Second, NEVER blow on the sensor with your mouth. If you accidentally spit on it, it's done.

Now read read read on cleaning sensors

Rocket blowers are the safest method for cleaning dust which is only loosely adhered to the sensor, mirror, or focusing screen. The mirror and focusing screen are delicate and can be easily damanged by physical contact or some cleaning fluids, and should only be cleaned (with great care) only if they are extremely dusty. Any dust or specks on the mirror or screen will not appear in the final image, since they are not in the optical path at the time the image is captured - it's best to leave these alone.

thank you for your replies and especially the warnings about touching the sensor.I was first very disappointed when these spots showed up. after my post i searched and as J said this is a common thing.

I then remembered I have a lens cleaning solution and special "Q tips" for a hawkeye borescope I have. I gently cleaned my sensor,mirror and bottom of the view finder.

I took a photo and all is well....... what a relief

thank you for the replies and advice

Glad you solved it. As others were saying, it looks like a sensor dust bunny. Dust on mirrors or focusing screens will not appear in your images because the mirror is up during exposure. A good blower is your best bet--do not use compressed air. Everything I've heard about the built-in sensor cleaning is that it is nearly worthless, a gimmick. If it comes down to it, as you found the sensor can take physical removal of the dust but this should be a last resort. The mirrors are also easily damaged, so again, air is better than cloth.