Etiquette

What is the correct etiquette to use when you are out in public and take photos

of strangers? Should you get their permission before hand, does it not matter

if you can't see faces? What about photographing peoples gardens or flowers

that are on the outside of a physical boundary? New to photography and don't

want to get in trouble! Thanks for any help.

Feel the mood. Some people might beat you even if you don't take picture of them, some may be pleased, children usually don't mind or enjoy it, but you may be accused of being a pervert. Some people where angry at me for taking a photo of a house, once of a bird in a cage... About etiquette, don't shoot beggars, accidents. Feel the mood, smile, be discreet, and always be ready to run fast.

If you are not on private property, here in the United States you can take a picture of whomever you want (yes, including children). What you do with the pictures afterwards can be an issue and one exception would be using a telephoto lens to peek into people's private homes (that could be interpreted as an invasion of privacy).

BTW, I just checked out your pictures and I think you have great potential. Keep it up.

If you plan on doing a lot of public shooting, you will eventually get a vibe of your surroundings. This of course can change from one block to the next and from day to day. Take it in stride and just leave a situation if anything about it doesn't feel right.

You have three choices when photographing strangers.

The first is to ask for permission.

<p>

The second is to make it clear you are going to photograph someone and noticing if they object.

<p>

The third is to shoot surreptitiously.<p>

The first obviously has the lowest risk, but some people really cheese it up for the camera. It just depends on who they are. If you have the gift of gab, you can get them to forget you are shooting. The second gives you the best of both worlds, you may be able to shoot without them posing, but without getting a hostile reaction. The third may sometimes result in a hostile reaction, even violence. I would recommend lots of practice for the third, and also being sure you are willing to get hit, or at least yelled at. I would recommend being very open if you are photographing people engaged in illegal activity.<p>

I've done all three. What I get depends on how I handle the situation. I have been physically threatened, although not assaulted, when shooting in a gang neighborhood. An example of the first situation is <a href="http://www.spirer.com/People/slides/threesj.jpg">here.</a> I was very open about shooting her and her friends. An example of the second situation is <a href="http://www.spirer.com/People/slides/hoodminna.jpg">here.</a> I was very open about shooting and just stood there with the camera, no contact other than one quick exchange of glances, and she went on doing what she was doing. An example of the third situation is <a href="http://www.spirer.com/NY2004/images/amansign1.jpg">here.</a> He never knew and I don't think he would care.<p>

So think about what you are doing and don't obsess over it. Pick whatever is comfortable and shoot.

I was yelled at and forbidden to make pictures of dead meat, i.e. meat on a skrewer, on a street stall in a public area and public nightmarket ... I even intented to buy something to eat, but after I was yelled at I choose to go to the competition across the street :)

Never hide the cameras, unless you really want to "steal" a picture.

By doing this, your purpose is obvious and people will then have the choice to accept or

refuse. You'll feel that right away.

In the case it looks obvious from your subject, you wil have (body language, eyes contact) to

make him understand that HE has something important you want. If you move and look well,

you might get it from him...

When in foreign markets I usually try to buy something from the seller. Seldom will they object to being photographed, and are often most interesting when busy. Even if they do not speak English, they will understand what you want. Very seldom will they object. On the other hand certain peoples will either want a small stippence for a photograph or will object on religious grounds. I don't try to hide my intentions unless I want completely candid photos. One way to do this is to wander around the area with the camera in plain view, "photographing" all sorts of uninteresting subjects. Eventually no one will pay any more attention and you can get the desired shots.

I like to take the shot and ask later if I get "caught". The facial expressions are better. Plus if

you use a neat looking camera like a Hasselblad or older ones like a Mercury, people usually

are more comfortable. I also have my business cards in my back pocket to hand them if they

start getting funky and that helps alot to prove you are a real photographer and not a weirdo

(I tend to be both).

• 1 year later...

1. To reiterate, in the U.S. The law basically says, "Don't expect privacy in public".

Exceptions: Down blouse, up skirts, and sometimes, 50/50 on posted signage - "Private Property".

2. If there are other photographers in site, I never ask - I just shoot whatever I want.

3. Can I take 'em in a fight?

Yes? Shoot.

No? Ask very politely. ;o)