How cheap is too cheap for a graphics tablet?

Is it possible to get a useful graphics tablet for less than $100? I've seen

some cheap gear (slide scanner for instance) that were pretty much useless, so

I'm a bit cautious...but I'm cheap too.

Anybody have any experience with the Digipro? There's one I could get (model

wp8060, an 8X6) for less than $100. The use I have in mind is selection in

Photoshop. Any tips on these things will be appreciated. If I have to spend

more, I will, but I don't want to overbuy.

Thanks,

Scot Steele

I had contemplated buying a more "generic" tablet, but ended up going with a wacom graphire4 4x5 tablet. It was smaller than I had originally intended to buy, but it has worked very well for me and is not too far above the price range you are looking for. If anyone has used both wacom and non-wacom tablets, I would be more inclined to trust their experience, though.

Thanks. From what I've been reading (mostly here), the Wacom seems to be the standard. Is the 4X5 big enough for any likely selections in PS? I probably wouldn't use it for drawing; I'd just start out on paper, so PS selection is probably the only thing it'd get used for.

ss

A 4x5 tablet is big enough for most photographic operations - selecting, masking and dust removal. A 6x8 tablet is a little easier to use, especially for precise selections and limited drawing. Anything larger is more for original artwork and tracing. The cost goes up geometrically with size.

You can connect a tablet and mouse/trackball simultaneously and use them both. Just remember not to lay the pen on the tablet ;-)

i think you got what you pay for; cheap gear = cheap driver, buggy software, and cheap construction...a lot of time.

As a professional photoretoucher i use to use a Wacom Graphire 4x5 when i had a 17inch monitor, now that i have 2x 23inch, i feel more comfortable with a 6x8, again Wacom Graphire 4, i dont see the need and the why i should have a Intuos that cost 2 times what i have for what i do. I think a 4x5 will be sufficient for many people as Edward say it. As for the brand, i normaly go with what in general people have try and know.

When I needed to replace my graphics tablet I purchased a Wacom 8 x 6 in the UK for 180 GBP (about 350 dollars). A couple of days later, a friend who knew that I was looking at tablets turned up with a Tevion 12 x 8 which cost 25 GBP (45 dollars).

I've put the Wacom into storage while I use the Tevion which is working fine, maybe a fraction slower and probably won't last as long but for that price does it matter. For me, a Wacom is only worth the extra if you are working professionally and using it continuously.

I would stay with a Wacom, kind of industry standard. The Graphire line is pretty affordable, it has pressure sensitivity and a wheel on top. The small one (12.8 x 9.3 cm) should be below 100 USD, and the next size (20.9 x 15.1 cm), which I recommend, within 200 USD.

Every time I buy something looking to save a few bucks I wind up buying something better down the road. Instead of buying once I buy twice. I did that with plenty of value priced camera lenses when I was younger. I have learned my lesson. For $250 the Wacom Intuos 6x8 tablet is a great product. Besides making Photoshop more pleasant to work with, no more carpel tunnel, wrist braces, etc. The side buttons are also very useful to have and allow you to sit back without having to press the keyboard every second. And 250 is a lot cheaper than a Canon L lens.

• 5 months later...