Dating my IIIc and it's lens?

I'm happy to report that I am now the proud owner of a nice little IIIc. I've

seen conflicting information on the internet regarding the serial numbers. Is

403556 a 1946 or a 1947 vintage camera?

Also, can anyone help me date a Elmar 50/3.5 with the serial number 391608?

The one page I know of doesn't seem to be loading at the moment.

The Elmar was produced in 1937, according to the Hove index. It elaborates; 365,852 lenses were produced in screwmount, from 1924 to 1958.

The same book does not help us on the camera. Serial numbers 400000 to 440000 were produced, as you referenced, in 1946/47.

Maybe someone has another source.

Enjoy the camera. I had one from serial range 412xxx, and it was well built and a joy to use, but had a louder shutter brake than the later IIIf.

When you're really bored, learn how to load it in the pitch-dark.

On futher review, Hove also indicates that 5,000 cameras were produced in 1946, your camera apparently coming from that batch. But confusion reigns. It states 15,000 IIICs were made in 1947. How do you get a total of 40,000 IIIC models in the two year period?

20,001 cameras are listed as being produced in 1948.

Just because Leica allocated a block of serial numbers to a particular model/run of cameras, doesn't mean that they used all of them.

This is a very common way to manage serial numbers and other unique identifiers. Allocations may not be rescinded, or returned to the pool, since it greatly increases the risk of duplicate identifiers.

So that recent Leica given to Salgado with the serial number 3,000,000 was not the 3 millionth Leica built, it was just the 3 millionth serial number allocated.