Unique wedding photography business ideas

german

Hi,

Here's something I was thinking about.

Business, all business, need to diferentiate themselves, otherwise is all the

same ..... (you know what).

Now, can we start a free flow of ideas of things we can do differently than the

rest of the wedding photographers out there? A brainstorming session.

Many of us have ideas that we don't implement, so don't be shy and just share

it. Somebody might implement it for you! (And though we might be competing

with each other, we are all in different parts of the country, so, let's just

share and grow together!)

And let' s not restrict ouselves, no matter how crazy the idea(s) might be.

For example, one thing I have in my mind, that may not be too practical, but

it's an idea nonethelss, is this:

Shoot some of the portraits with a 4x5 camera, on Type 55 Polaroid film. It

may not be practical, but images from said camera on said film are awesome!

What's your idea?

Also, what else can we do, as a business to give our clients the best of the

best?

For example, in one upscale magazine they mention, on an ad for personal,

business jets that "the personal pilot is included."

What can we include (besides awesome photography, prints and albums)?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking of the same thing. What to do different. I was thinking an "old school" 4x5 very posed, set-up small series of bridal portraits. REAL enlargements afterwards, on real photo paper- no inkjet stuff. Throw in a nice frame. Wall hanging type stuff. This could be hired out as a seperate service than the regular PJ. coverage.

There are a few high-end customers who would really like this service. Would need to slate about 1/2 timeframe during the day, or have them done on a non-wedding day, studio or location.

Idea is a few ultra high-quality shots to be framed, as opposed to (or in conjunction with) a slew of PJ stuff.

It is actually a royalty free piano tune that I am growing tired of, funny because I am the biggest offender of using commercial music on all my slide shows. I renamed it so I can't remember - Oh wait I think it is called "dreamy piano" - you might find it if you search, I have no idea where I downloaded it from. I think it was a free sample or reduced bandwith version.

A painted portrait. Either, hire a painter to make an oil painting from a photo you took, coat a print with ... (I can't remember the coating that makes the photo look like it's painted in oil), or use software to make your Inkjet or dye print look like a painting - there got to be one! <p/>Offer that to the client for hanging over the fireplace or in the bedroom.

Steve gave my another idea....<p/>Photograph the bride stripping out of her wedding dress. <p/>It's really for the wife...you see, when things get, let's say, a little stale between the couple in the bedroom department, the wife can just whip out the stripping photos and remind her husband of one of the reason why he married her in he first place. <p/>Movies, too? <p/>On the other hand, if it's an arranged marriage, then, I'm not so sure his will work.

Nice!

Greg, I was thinking of the 4x5 as an add on as well. There's not a whole lot of time to do that during the wedding day itself, though we might have to squeeze it in there, somehow.

I do think of nice watercolor prints though, like made by Jonathan Penney. It would make for a good sell. (Those are not cheap.)

Dave, the painted stuff could be produced on watercolor paper or on real canvas. Several labs do that. (I don't want to "name names" since I don't want this to be an infomercial!)

Steve, thanks for the info on the music. I am looking into music bakery (here's a name) but did not find what I needed. I'll keep searching.

I assisted on a boudoir, pre-wedding photo session (the day of the wedding, before her getting ready) back in Hollywood (about 7 years ago). Very nice looking young girl, as you may imagine. In any case, that is a very good idea too. (Not all markets may take you up on the offer though!)

By the way, I've seen fine art prints (about 6 feet by 4 feet) on hand-made paper (sort of water color). They were very nice! (It would be tons of money to produce, but it would sell well, to the right client.)

or rent-a-groom!

Hey, somebody just suggested a gift bag (a la Hollywood) to be given upon booking, with things they bride and groom will need on their wedding day, plus wedding magazines (we may get for free) with our ad (if that is the case), and with information about/from other vendors (that we work with!). I am asking her for permission to quote her. We'll see what happens.)

I am sure other vendors we work with would love the idea, since we are one of the first vendors the future brides and grooms book/visit. (Hey, we can give it even if we are not booked on our 1st meeting, provided it has our info in there, of course.)

I was in China a couple of weeks ago, and the pre-wedding "photo shoot" thing was really big.

Brides would rent the dress from the studio, then spend an afternoon shooting on location or in the studio. The studios were filled with wedding dresses, had salespeople buzzing around, and were open real late. Clients would be visible from the street window looking at the different dresses to use for their shoot, looking at different albums, etc. Lots of activity.

Part of the package was always one big enlargement to be displayed at their wedding.

I saw a number of brides in the parks being photographed. They had their rental dress on, there was a photographer and assistant, sometimes a stylish helping. You could see the brides jeans on under the wedding dress. It was more like a fasion shoot than a B&G portrait session.

Some of the finished images I saw were worthy of Vogue magazine. Really great stuff.

I'll scan a couple of the brochures I brought back and post the images.

Very interesting!

Because of the size limits at Photo.net you can't get the real scope of these images.

The brochure they are taken from is about 5x5, nice cardstock, truly professional looking stuff.

Wouldn't it be nice to shoot a portrait session NOT on the day of the wedding? No working around other's schedules, no tight timeframes, no distractions, etc.

I have to say I was quite impressed with the technique and the final images. Of course, a big part of what makes it work is that it is not done on the wedding day. More relaxed client, time to do it right, more location options.

I also have to say I like the look of the shots a lot better than the over-processed, over saturated, blown-out, action based stuff we see today.

Sure, it's digital and PS, but not over-done. Good lighting is one of the main things.

<i>Good lighting is one of the main things.</i><p/><p/>And the person who made the decision that the lighting was "Good"?<p/>Ahem!<p/>And the person who composed the shots was...ahem!<p/>And the person who chose to make the incredibly stupid camera do the right this was....?