Tri-X 4x5 and Jobo ATL1500

What developer have any of you tried and are happy with for Tri-X 4x5 in a Jobo

ATL1500 processor?

I have been using HC110 for developing my 4x5 TriX in the past (HP Combi Tank)

but I will now be using a Jobo ATL1500 which maintains a temperature of 24C/75F.

At that temperature, the developing time is extremely short and it's not even

listed as a developing program option.

What's important to me is good grain/sharpness and a smooth tonal range. I will

be doing some testing with the usual suspects (X-tol, D-76) but it would be very

helpful to learn of your experiences and advice.

Thanks.

The Kodak data sheet gives times for Tri-X in HC-110 at 24C - but the times are longer than those in the Massive Dev chart, so probably ought to be used more as a starting point than as a definitive time. Have you thought of using the undocumented HC-110 Dil H, and developing for twice the time of Dil B?

Here is the data sheet anyway:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/f9/f9.jhtml#06

Nick

If I recall correctly, Kodak's development time recommendations are geared for users of enlargers with diffuse light sources like color, variable contrast, or cold light heads. Usually, a negative developed to a slightly higher contrast index is preferred for use with a light source of this type. That could account for Kodak's longer development time.

Look upon "The Massive Dev Chart" times with a bit more skepticism than Kodak's. There is a lot of information there, some of it good and some of it questionable. It's a good place to look if you don't have recommendations direct from the manufacturer for your particular film/developer combination. But like Wikkipedia, it is a compilation of data from many users. I don't think for a moment that the data passes any sort of testing before being included into the database.