Magazine usage rights pricing

I've been contacted (first a phone call then an e-mail )by a large magazine

creative director. Not a "super" big magazine, but it's a " US StateName

Magazine" I'd rather not directly name it here.

She want rights to publish a photo of mine as a "spread" as she called it, a

lead in photo for an article. I expect she means 2 pages.

I have a 4000 PPI tif scan of the 35MM negative ready.

She also inquired about another image of mine as a spot photo.

She offered $50.00 for the big one and $25 for the small image "honorarium" she

called it. She also claims to have others she's considering instead, as we

might expect...

I wrote back with some questions like how many copies of the magazine are

printed, credits policy etc, how big is the "spread". I did not provide her a

quote yet or hear back with answers to my questions. (I sent the e-mail reply

late in the day)

Hopefully some "experienced" folks here will give some pointers about pricing

the rights. I've sold rights to my images in the past but to book publishers,

not magazines.

The images are not SUPER unique, but they are specific location photos, in fact

one, she found in my gallery here on photo.net. One is a night photo.

Her initial offers are low. I'd rather not sell rights, than to sell them for

too little.

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, pricing guidelines etc. J.

I'd see what she comes back with, then make her a package deal. Sounds to me like that magazine has a set price. A lot of magazines are going that route. They say we only pay 75 bucks for a half page, like it or lump it. . . I cant comment on if you should or should not take the deal, I can only suggest that you make a counter with some kid of insentive for her to use your images. Also, if you ever want work from that magazine again, you may have to take what she offers, or stick to the high-ehd magazines that will pay you what your "worth."

I'd first of all search the photo.net archives where I'm sure you'll find plenty on the subject or there are plenty of pricing guides online try searching for something like 'photos stock pricing calculator' or variations on that through your favourite search engine. first one I saw was http://www.ozimages.com.au/stockpricing/calculator.asp Certainly points you in the right direction. Would also suggest reading something like http://photobusinessforum.blogspot.com/ for plenty of sensible advice.

Regards,

Bruce

In the digital age, things are changing. Today it?s hard to tell who's running the market. But, in most venues - outside the real high-end fashion and marketing work, it seems to me that it is less and less common for magazines to buy JUST a few shots (they like a story and the shots together), and when they do buy just photos, they are not paying much for them anymore - even covers have gone WAY WAY down.

If you look over the photo pricing calculators and send in an offer that to you is accurate and "right," they may think it's outrageous, and you won?t get the publication, and you won?t get another call from that magazine. Many editors, or photo editors know the gig, some dont, but they do know what they have for a budget, and if they tell you a flat price, your not going to get much more than their offer, if any. And if you muck around with them for too long, they will move on to more fertile ground.

That's not all bad; it just is what it is. IMHO.

You have to look at where you want your business to go and build a model to get you there. If you want just to be published then great, if youre tying to make a bunch a money too, than that's great too, but that's a different gig than just getting published.

Using stock calculators on a magazine that pays only 75 bucks is a waste of your time. IMO.

Other's will disagree, and that's okay, they have their own experiences, but I think times really are changing and it aint the same old pricing gig anymore. . .

I've had too many opportunities lost trying to follow the old model where the photographer sets his/her price and the magazine, only to watch as the magazine moves on. I'm not talking about the high end fashion or corporate media stuff (I dont do that) but you did say the publisher made you an offer. . . so there is a prices on the table.

Take care, read everything you can, be realistic and good luck!

Oh yea, those numbers they gave you seem a bit low to me, but the magazine has a budget. . .

Depending on circulation numbers and credit policy, I was considering suggesting ~ $100.00 for use of both images, with photographer credit.

I'd also offer a discount on the next image she might want for any future issue. Since there's potential for more sales here, I'd like to get the publication.

I have hundreds of potentially usefull images from the state this magazine represents. I've sent her some contact sheets.

Thanks for your help. I'll write back as to how the deal went down, or didn't. J.

I would NOT offer discounts like that. I'd take NOTHING less then their standard pay rates, if they have them.

I'm not suggestine you undercut the other guys, i'm saying that you need to be bit more savey about how you do business. . . dont get me wrong, youre entitled to your strategy, but I would NOT offer her a deal that is LESS than what they pay. . . Bad idea, again, IMO.

State magazines range from tearsheets only to actually paying reasonably well. All of the right people read the bylines in these publications. For example, Chambers of Commerce, Tourist Commissions, and local newspapers who may need photos. You can get name recognition and spin off business through this avenue. Also editors from other magazines sometimes recommend sources to one another. If you want to do more work in this area, go for it. Better buyers may be lurking in the wood work.

Hi,

I think for something printed i that might be low .... on the other hand maybe a state magazine over a national/worldwide magazine makes a huge difference but i know that Rolling Stone pays $50.00 for on line usage. (for me it was well worth it to say i was published by rolling stone, if only online.)

J:

I think $100 (for both images or $100 per image?) is very low. Only you can decide if you

want to let your images go for that. My lowest license fee for US clients is $125 and that is

only if they license 15 or more images for the same publication (book in this case).

Look up their circulation and run it through an on-line pricing calculator like the one

found at http://photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm

A lot of photo buyers lowball to see if they can get away with it. Some have set pricing, but

most have at least a little room for negotiation.