it separately. Sorry.

So far, I haven't had an issue about moving around the couple, perhaps in a

tight circle, on the altar, etc. In fact, the one time when the couple hasn't

been facing each other (just a coincidence so far), I wasn't allowed on the

altar anyway so it was moot.

But, if they are facing forward, do you walk up on the altar or whatever they

are facing (since not all weddings are in churches, after all) and take some

photos from that angle? I presume so, but it has to be a bit distracting to

them, right? So how do you balance distraction and getting the shots?

Something that's been dancing in my head that I keep meaning to ask.

allan

Allan,

You already know the answer (I hope)... just ask the couple!

<p>

Some couples will want you to. Some won't. It doesn't matter what photo.net people tell you

if the couple who pay you have a different opinion. You also need to talk with the officiant or

people running the ceremony site or church.

The etiquette you mention is a combination of what you're allowed to do, what the couple wants, what you think is the right thing to do, and common sense. Obviously if you're allowed to even get up close to the altar, that's the first step. Some churches tell you not to step onto the altar, even on the sides of the altar, and others tell you the sides are OK, but not behind the officiator, while others tell you anything goes--behind, on, right up close, etc. If they tell you the latter, be sure you suppress your instincts to be discreet and just get up there and shoot. Once I was told to get whatever I wanted from wherever I wanted, yet I remained discreet, and when I asked for a few re-creations, the officiator refused because I was supposed to get everything at the time, since I was given free rein.

Some couples want you to take whatever you can, some couples would rather not see you up there--always ask. If allowed to move around yet told to stay off the altar itself, I shoot some from the sides with a medium telephoto. I get up there, shoot, and get down. I never camp out, and I don't go up there repeatedly--I know the shots I want from that angle and I know when to be there. I almost never go behind the officiator (I might do this outside, but if I do, I cross way back, not right behind) and I almost never get closer than about 8 feet from the couple, depending on the size of the altar and whether there are decorations or architecture I can hide behind safely. I avoid walking in front of the parents and folks sitting in the front rows--unless it is unavoidable or I really need to get from one point to another fast to avoid missing something. If it is an outdoor ceremony, or a Jewish ceremony, where people are crowded up around an arch or huppa, or the location is very tight, I might get closer if allowed.

When you are in full view of everyone, including the couple, avoid making big movements, dropping things, moving a lot and fiddling with your gear. This is also why it is a good idea to not wear bright colors and to wear rubber soled shoes. Don't call your assistant on the cell phone or motion to anyone. This should be common sense, but you'd be surprised.

Thanks for the response. Yes - I always ask the couple, and whomever the other relevant people are for that particular wedding (officiant, coordinator, etc). I just wanted some "field experience," etc, to help out. The "stay about 8 feet away" part is useful.

And, as with many things wedding/event-photography-related, it's about knowing when to be at a spot, getting the shot(s), then moving. I will work on that and make sure I'm not hovering behind the officiant's shoulder.

:-)

allan

I so agree with Steve, telephoto lenses were made for this!

I have always considered the altar area a no go zone and over the years have had more priests, rabbis ministers etc thank me for not making what is their moment in to a media moment.

There are a million other times in a day to be close in and the church really isn't one. Whatever image you might get is overshadowed by the impact it has on the parents, family and couple.

Some clients think they will not be bothered by having someone so close up but they usually are.

Think through what will happen and position yourself to use your lens to get in rather than your body. Also time permiting you can do some detail shots after the wedding ceremony.

Brooke

First, let's get off the the "altar" idea specifically. Altars are inherently sacred and special places, and my question was more about whether you walk around in front of a couple or not.

Having said that...let's say there is an altar, and they are facing it, and they are right up against the steps of it (onto which you are not allowed). What do you do?

The one time I had this happen I was on one side, and worked on shots of, say, the bride's face, then to the other side and the groom's face, but even then I had to wait for that sideways glance most of the time (I got a couple good ones of their profiles). But for the vows and ring exchange, I was either up in the balcony with a very long lens or in the aisle (with permission and in fact recommendation by coordinator at the church), but even then it was more their backs than anything else.

I know that you photograph what you can, and that you can't fly into the air on wires and get different shots (ha...as if that would be discreet :-). But just curious. Are there things you key in on in such situations when faces are _that_ hard to get into frame?

allan

Allan--what you do is re-create the close-up shots of the faces after the ceremony, if that is what you were after. There is some truth to the claim that you can't really re-create the expressions of the couple during the actual ceremony, so if you, within the allowance of the officator/church, can get those during the ceremony, great. If you just can't, a re-creation is surprisingly almost as satisfying. And it doesn't need to take up a lot of time. If I feel I need re-creations, I do it immediately after everyone gets back to the altar after the recessional. I have everyone besides the couple sit on the outer edges of the pews, and set up the officiant and the couple for a few re-creations. You can even have them repeat part of the vows or just have them look into each other's eyes. Again--surprisingly, the emotions are still there, and they do come through. Mostly, you need to be tight in frmaing, otherwise you see that it isn't the real ceremony. This is also where you can get extreme close-ups of hands and rings, etc. Then I photograph the "official" photo with the officiant (so he or she can leave), and then any other re-creations, such as the hand-off from bride's father to groom or the candle lighting. Sometimes you just can't get a good angle on those or are banished at the back of the church entirely during the ceremony.

As for hard and fast rules like never getting on the altar no matter what, I would say that if it works for you, great. It wouldn't work for me. Some of my clients expect shots that can only be taken--maybe not ON the altar--but from close around it. Some sects of a religion and some cultures WANT you to get those images--officiants included. Some of the church's architecture allows you to be pretty hidden. Some don't. If you re-create everything after the ceremony, you may not have enough time to re-create every single photographable event during the ceremony. Sometimes the items you might need to re-create are taken away or put away, such as communion items, and you just don't have access. You just have to use your judgement about these things--as I said above, factor in all the variables and figure out a path that won't distress everyone involved.

In the UK it is almost unknown for the photographer to have close access once the ceremony has started. In civil weddings many offiators ban ALL photography during the service with the majority only allowing the 'kiss' and just maybe the exchange of rings. Never flash and never during the speaking parts. Then you can photograph a 'mock' signing once the actual ceremony is over.

I couldn't get close if I used camoflage LOL!

From a UK Council's guide to photography at civil (ie. not-church) weddings:

<P><i>Photography will only be permitted at the following points in the civil ceremony:

<BR>Entrance of bride, bride and groom or partners (up to the point at which the registrar speaks, to start the formal ceremony)

<BR>Exchange or giving of ring(s)

<BR>Bride & groom or partners kiss / embrace

<BR>Signing of register or civil partnership schedule. Please note that no photographs are allowed of the signing of the actual register/schedule in which the marriage or partnership is recorded - a dummy or blank page is provided if this is required.

<BR>Please note that the actual register/schedule signed by the bride & groom or partners cannot be videoed.

<BR>Photographers are requested to move around as little as possible</i>

During an indoor ceremony at a place of worship, I never get behind the wedding party or in front of the audience, and I never use the center aisle. Since the audience is facing forward and center, I am invisible as long as I stay on the side aisles and in the back.

Outdoor weddings are usually more laid back, so I generally ask permission to approach the wedding party more closely to get some really great shots. (See below).

In a typical Christian ceremony, the couple only faces away from the audience at the beginning, after which they turn and face each other with their profiles to the audience for vows, exchanging rings, and The Big Smooch.<div>00L3G4-36399184.jpg.a5298117931cc867c4f086b59658cfaa.jpg</div>