Help me. I'm about to sell my MP for an M6...should I?

<Help me. I'm about to sell my MP for an M6...should I?>

My view is No. The M6 is still too expensive to meet the objective stated. You could buy a much cheaper $300-$450 user camera compatible with M lenses and take that out when you feel the need.

I also think that you should then give yourself one or two years to start using that MP regularly enough to get some wear and tear or sell it. You are not a collector, you are a photographer. That of course does not mean that you need to deliberately abuse the thing just to prove the point.

Hello

Well, I understand your position all too well. There is some very good advice above as well

i might add...

One must get over these things as artpieces. People express them to be tools, yet I prefer

the term "instrument". A worn instrument is immeasurably more beautiful than a new one

you understand? It does not mean it was not well taken care of, simply used. It has a

history...you grow out of that mentality in time.

I first purchased an M6 chrome years ago, TTL. Gave it to my wife. So, I of corse wanted

something special for myself, so I came across an outstanding Ti M6.

I became so tired of worrying about scratching the d@mn thing as well, due to it's

collectability, etc. So upon testing the then new MP (blkpaint), I was truly impressed, no,

floored with the qulaity and feel of the camera. There are the endless debates and talk, but

it feels heads and shoulders more refined than the others I had.

This said, having expressed my needs to sell it, a well as, my 35 ASPH (as I truly could not

justify the price of it) concerned about losing its value due to scratches, etc.

I bought these things to USE, and perhaps the problem was they were a bit out of my leaue

to begin with.

The other reason I opted for the MP, honestly is due to fact that it is supposed to wear out.

.and looks better if it does in my honest opinion. As foolisha this is to write, what a relief

it was. ..

Still, occasionally there is that concern as yours, however, my wife (a professional photog.)

made a simple comment as clear as could be:

"You bought it, then use it. What does it matter if it gets scratched or not. You already

paid for it. It's yours.... It wasnt like it was a bottle of wine you got, was it?"

Perhaps i simply needed to hear it, but truer words have not been spoken.

I did sell the ASPH, it never did leave me floored as I'd imagined, and I simply sould not

justify a $1300 lens...I mean, who am I?

I purchased a pristine, timewarp CL kit. 40mm cron, 90 Elmar, and could not be more

pleased. and Ive gone through several lenses to find one that "draws" the way I wanted it

to.

IF however you are interested, as mentioned above by another, another less expensive

body may be the ticket.

With this kit I purchased, is an absolutely pristine, as if purchased new yesterday, in the

original packing and box Leica CL I intend to sell when I get around to it for $400. If

interested, drop me a note.

I really wanted to keep it for a second body, but I must remain realistic I feel. It would

make me feel far too spoiled...as I am already quite fortunate to have what I do.

If you are concerned about theft, as advised above, investigate getting insurance and sleep

well at night.

They were meant to be used, USE IT.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Best wishes

<i>so pay like $25 and get the aforementioned insurance,</i></p>I sold insurance for 45 years (and still take in a tidy sum on policy renewals). Most homeowners' policies will cover you for items (with some specific exclusions but not usually cameras)away from home up to a set limit, typically capped at $2000-2500 for the aggregate (meaning, total reimbursement for everything stolen in the same incident). Better call around and price out the premium on a replacement-cost all-risk rider for a $3500 replacement-cost camera. I think $25 (even for 6 mo's) is unrealistically low. A friend with a Canon 1DS/II pays $800/yr for his rider, and he's not using it commercially.

Just last week, someone broke into my car and left a CB radio and a film camera. Just kidding! I own a few Leica screwmounts, which I love for their idiosyncracies. I received a BS in mechanical engineering in the 50's and I appreciate the hoops designers of complicated mechanisms had to jump through before the days of the do-everything microchip. Gears, cams, and levers and remember that every mechanism that has a determinate reaction to activation is a four-bar linkage Three bars (like a triangle are completely determinate) don't adjust, and five-bars are indeterminate. I just wanted to add a sample data point to the calculus. Two weeks ago, I was visiting my favorite photo shop, and the proprietor (about my vintage) told me that he had just taken in trade an M6 classic. I had never handled one so of course I wanted to see it. Single owner, original boxes, ever-ready case, original Leica strap that had never been out of the box. Only lens was a 90 mm f2.8 tele-elmerit (Canadian) with caps and lens hood. Lens looked almost unused. M6 was black with a serial number indicating manufacture in 85-86, very minor hard to see brassing on left and right top where the curved ends meet the side. EX++ at the very least. Total cost before sales tax was 1200 USD. I am pleased. I am so much happier contributing to keep a local camera shop in business, than playing russian roulette on bay watch. But the choice between the M6 and the MP is not just the cost. As a former statistician, the proper metric is the utility function. Stated compactly, which course of action will provide you the most satisfaction? If you keep the MP and buy the M6, presumably you will have a lot of camera satisfaction, which must be discounted by whatever purposes you could have put the M6 money towards. Good luck! The good news is that you have very nice camera(s) which ever choice you make.

let's put it like this, consider it as your friend, one of your best friends, but keep in mind, no matter how, or what you do, they will get old, older, then, pass away. it's always a sad ending, but what's so important, is that you've spent so many good times with them, all those precious memories.

will you sell a friend? KEEP IT .

Hi, dear friend. The viewfinder of the Leica MP, that i own proudly, is comparable to the same element of the Leica M3, that have the better viewfinder ever made. Therefore, the viewfinder of the Leica MP is considerably better than the viewfinder of the Leica M6. See the website of Erwin Puts for more infos.

Ciao.

If not an M7, I'd get an M6 TTL, not the classic. Most importantly, it has a nicer, more

useable shutter speed dial. And if I'm not mistaken, the battery cap is also an

improvement from the classic. One of the quirky things with the classic I had is that one day

the battery cap sprung off suddenly and flew across the sidewalk.