I just traded my E-500 for a 20d. I am following my mentor as a second shooter

for a wedding scheduled next week. I have purchased a Tamron 18-200mm 1:3.5-6.3

lens to take with me. I have learned quite a bit about this camera already, but

sure could use some good pointers as far as this specific camera goes. Most

shots will be indoors, shady incandecent lighting, and wood ceilings of all

things. Flash is not allowed during the ceremony but I will have my 430ex with

me. My mentor photographer, always has and always will shoot film, so when it

comes to digital she is not a whole lot of help. Anywords of wisdom or shooting

tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..

Be sure to bring a tripod for those no flash shots inside. Otherwise, the biggest thing with a 20D is the flaky focus. Don't use AI Focus or AI Servo for weddings--only One Shot, and be sure to focus carefully--give the focus point something contrasty and not on the edge of a subject. The focus points are bigger than what is marked, meaning if you focus on an edge, the focus may go to the background. Sometimes it does anyway, for no good reason. Be sure to test out your 430EX with it. With my 20D and 580EX, I plug in a constant +2/3 flash compensation and compensate further from that point.

you need fast primes lenses (50/1.4 or1.8, 85/1.8, 24/2.8....)or a really fast zoom at both the short end (24-70/2.8)and the long end (70-200/2.8). i had the 70-300 IS /5.6 which was completely useless at the weddings I shot (for friends not money). the 6.3 is useless inside unless you'll blast everything with a high powered flash. and you'll have little control over depth of view, separation of subjects.

shooting raw (and learning how to edit RAW photographs) is pretty useful as well.

i dont know what kind of photography you do (reportage?) but you'll need an offcamera flash, big memory cards (2,4,8gb).

if you are doing it for pay, that is.

if you are shooting a friends wedding just for the practice and the "hej, casey has a camera he could bring it to the wedding" effect then you need a lot less.

1. shoot jpeg. its faster, smaller and you wont edit too much anyway. just shoot a lot. the 5fps is pretty good on the 20d. in jpeg have a couple of 1gb cards or a 2gb and 1gb (i even use a 8gb MD)

2. something fast. a 50/1.8 will be great (the 1.4 is better). at a recent wedding i used the 85/1.8 a lot.

plus you need something a bit wide, for table shots and group shots.

28/2.8 , sigmas 20/1.8, something like that. i find the 20 to be a bit too wide for taditional group shots, but thats just me.

3. talk to people and figure out who is who. get great aunt gertie talking with her sister (the regular photographer wouldn't necessarily think to get it if hes not told).

4. try not to go beyond iso 800. 1600 is okej on my 20d, 3200 is really way too grainy for good use.

good luck.

` and be sure to focus carefully--give the focus point something contrasty and not on the edge of a subject. The focus points are bigger than what is marked, meaning if you focus on an edge, the focus may go to the background. `

As a `one comment` on the camera in the scenario you are moving in, really important My experience: Ditto this comment.

Also, I use a 580EX and a 20D and ditto the `base` Flash compensation: always about +2/3 or +1.

I have not used a 430EX.

Yes, TEST the flash camera combination

Depending upon what you are required to capture during the ceremony, obviously a pod might be necessary.

I would not like my assistant / 2nd, going in without a faster lens or two. (prime would be my choice)

WW

ohhh...I don't like the idea of switching cameras before an event.

good thing that it is not 'your' wedding - ie. your responsibility. if I were your mentor, I would discourage you from doing this unless you were a very quick learn.

from what I have heard, your lens is not particularly high quality - slow and slow to focus and poor quality wide open.

it took me a few weeks to learn my canon 20D up down sideways left and right. weddings happen QUICKLY, and there is a huge confidence boost knowing that I know my camera enough to teach anyone else in the room - never any surprises with my camera at weddings.

but hey - you are going for it. good luck. bring a tripod.

Thank you all for your comments, I wish I could emphasize how informal this wedding is and small. I have ahd a chance to take some test shots with my camera and my weak little lens, I really believe that it will do quite nicely, yeah a fast prime would be great, but it wasn't exactly a even trade for for the 20d for my evolt ;P I have always had the knack for posing and composition and i'm kinda crazy to, so I am just going to have fun with it. And just leave the heavy stuff for the hired hand. lol