I've seen many posts on layers, including using them with PSP. However, most

inquirers are basically knowledgeable about layers and are asking some specific

question. I'm just trying to figure out how they work at all.

I created an adjustment layer to do a channel mixer adjustment to monochrome.

So far so good. Then I tried to do another layer to do some blurring, and it

said I had to convert it to a raster layer. I did that; but the raster layer

shows the unblurred, monochrome image of the adjustment layer, even with the

opacity of the raster layer at 100%.

I'm totally lost. I'd be interested in a simple explanation/tutorial of how to

use layers. Obviously there is something that I'm really not getting. I'm

sure that if I tried anything else, I'd also run into issues I don't know how

to solve.

Thanks,

Paul

Afraid I'm not sure about the program your using, but my experience with PS is that the only layer that changes anything is the one that is on top unless you reduce the opacity and/or the blending options of that layer. For example, if you select "Luminosity" blending mode from the drop-down menu (default is "Normal") then only the luminosity will be changed and all the color information will be intact; likewise if you select the "Color" blending mode from that drop-down menu then luminosity will not be affected by any changes made in that layer.

For your purposes move the layer you want to blur to the top of the layer order and adjust its opacity to let information from lower layers to be seen (and perhaps overcompensate what you are doing to those lower layers to make up for the difference); or you can merge or flatten the layers before creating a new one using "Normal" blending mode to perform blurring in. A good way to apply the effects of a layer to certain parts of the image is to "Add a layer mask" at the bottom of the Layers pallette. Then use the brush tool to mask out anything you don't want the layer to apply to the underlying layers (black will mask and white will unmask).

Anthony,

Thanks. One problem is that when I open a layer as a "raster layer", it shows as a black and white checkerboard, in the dialogue boxes and in the palette, and when I select it to show on the screen, no adjustment seems to have any effect on the layer image. I'm clearly not doing something right.

Paul

Going back to your OP I see that you did a "monochrome" adjustment. This suggests some sort of greyscale (non-color) space, and you're apparently still stuck in that mode. If I were you I would poke around in all the layer related menus with an eye on colorspaces and grey scales, and think of it as a "hands-on" learning experience (that's how I've learned about 80% of what I know). As I said before, I'm not familiar with the program you are using so that's about all I can do for you -- hopefully someone else will be able to help you further.

PSP X has several types of layers: Raster, Vector, Art Media, Masking and Adjustment.

If you simply create a new Raster Layer, there is nothing on it until you put something on it. It is created blank. The checkerboard pattern you were seeing simply tells you that the layer is transparent or that the opacity is set to zero or at least very low.

There are tools that work only with Raster Layers and tools that work only with Vector layers. Raster layers contain your photographs. Most of the tool on the Tools Toolbar are for working with Raster layers. Vector layers contain drawing objects and text and must be converted to Raster layers before you can use Raster layer tools on them.

Any layer affects only layers that are below it. As long as the upper most layer is set to Normal Blend Mode and 100% Opacity it is the only layer you will see until you either select a different Blend Mode or reduce the Opacity.

You can drag and drop all the layers in the stack up and down with the exception of a Background. And if you Promote the Background to a Layer you will be able to move it.

I do not know if any of this helps with what you are trying to do. They are just a few of the general rules for using layers in PSP X.

Even if you were converting to monochrome in a Channel Mixer Adjustment Layer you are still working in RGB and not Grayscale so that should have had no effect that would prevent adding another Adjustment Layer.

There is not an Adjustment Layer for blurring so if you wanted to do blurring on a layer other than the Background you only needed to click on the Background to highlight it and then right click for the pop up menu and select Duplicate. That will create a duplicate Raster Layer between the Background and the Adjustment Layer where you can blur till your heart's content. However it will blur the entire image if you use something like Gaussian Blur without using a selection.

I do this frequently and then use a very soft edged Eraser brush on the duplicate layer to remove what I do not want blurred from the duplicate layer. Truthfully, I work more frequently in duplicate layers than I do in Adjustment Layers. I just find it works as quickly and with less hassle.

I just posted an image a few minutes ago to a newer thread "Help Needed with Crop" or something similiar. I used a duplicate layer of the background to darken and blur the background. I simply erased the foreground from the duplicate layer.

Hope this helps.