Grand Canyon (and area around) or BUST!!!!

nancy s.

Well, I got it settled..

Bringing two Nikon 35mm bodies (FM and N8008s) and both B&W and Slide film for

them with an 18mm lens, 35-70 lens, 50mm lens, 105mm lens, and 80-200 lens.

Bringing the 645e with an 80mm lens and a 300mm lens and appropriate backs.

Fuji S2 with the Tameron 28-75mm 2.8 AF DI with plenty of compact flash

capacity and a digital Point and shoot. Filters.

120/220 Film will be Portra VC and NC and TMax 100/400

35mm will be Tri X and Provia slide 100/400.

Tripod or Monopod.

Batteries and charger

I See no need to bring flash... tho Mom with the GrandCanyon and moon rise

behind might be to die for if I can get it.

I guess I will next figure how few clothes I can bring... just the ones I am

wearing when I leave.. and dang, where will we put the deoderant? LOL

Just wondering if I ought to have the F3HP instead of the FM.. Can't bring it

all. The FM is all mechanical and is therefore useful if batteries all die.

You got any more ideas I am listening.. I have about all the equipment I own

right now up there.

Sounds great. The biggest challenge at the Grand Canyon is to see a new vision. It is the most photographed natural landmark on this planet.

You might reconsider your flash. I use it more often than I realize. The high altitude, contrasty light of the desert at 7000' feet elevation will create deep shadows. Fill flash is quite handy.

I like the idea of the F3HP over the FM. A spare set of batteries won't break the mule's back. You have more leeway for those metered, loooong exposures; 8 sec instead of 1...plus viewfinder curtain, real mirror lock-up, 100% finder, and if things are happnin' fast, aperture priority with exposure lock. Many features are redundant in the 8008 but you'll be shooting a different film. If you were going fast and light I'd stick with the FM but that doesn't seem to be the case ;)

Miscellanea: tripod ? definetly. I can use my tripod as a monopod if need be but haven't figured-out how to do the reverse. Flash for fill in bright sun? Very handy. Any graduated ND's in the mix? Invaluable for shadowy depths and bright sky as well as sunrise/set. How about a macro or screw-on, close-up diopter for the wonderful flowers? Sun-hat and block.

If thinking about visiting the Skywalk be prepared to part with $75...per person. I've heard /read very mixed reviews about it, most of which were not too encouraging.

When I was there I found out you need four oars, as the Park Service won't let you on the river without at least two spares, but you only need one extra PFD. I guess they're more concerned about lost boats than lost bodies. :)

OK, that's not the advice you're looking for, but have a great time anyway, Nancy, it's a wonderful place. I found that after three weeks of drifting along the bottom you never really get used to it. In fact, quite the opposite, it's more a feeling like you are over saturated with it. It's like nothing else anywhere. But having been on both the top and the bottom, I much prefer the view from the bottom.<div>00KwRU-36248684.JPG.ab2f138fed2c21882c608d300b40229e.JPG</div>

Thanks all. Remember, I will have the Medium format kit too. Of course I have filters.. and I can sneak the flash in I am sure.. in the checked bag if necessary... tho the tripod is planning to go there (I haven't told it yet tho).

Also, this is my 3rd time to the place and it is with an elderly companion so the going to the bottom may not happen (tho she mentioned doing the Raft!!!). The skywalk is NOT going to happen. I have other ways to spend $75 and I have heard you cannot take a camera on it anyhow.. but I really do not like heights. The edge is enough height for me.

If I were going alone or with my former traveling companion I would take a look from the bottom but I have to see what the person who is going with me this time can tolerate. If she is not up to going on the raft, we won't go. She did talk to one of her church ladies who told her to go for the raft... if she is up to it, so am I (tho I would hate to lose a camera doing this!).

I will bring my SB 24 flash. It probably won't push the bag weight limit over the top. :)

Owning both, I'd definitely go with the F3 over the FM. I'd just put a new battery in the F3 before the trip (or two new ones if going with the S-76 cells). I've never been able to drain an F3 battery in less than a two years. And I prefer the F3's finder over the FM's.

<p>

But if you prefer the FM for some reason (it IS a hair lighter), go with your choice. With either the FM or F3, I'd start the trip with a new battery and not worry about bringing a spare.

I have some really good slides with the F3 from other years (perfectly exposed).. I may have some room and bring all three bodies.

I had a 24mm lens and it was a good one. I liked it but it was a gift and I returned it. I have the digital too.. that has a lens that goes to 28mm for a film camera (no crop factor), so I can use that.

Yes.. the pollution thing can be an issue. This is from the Navajo power plant outside of Page. When the Glen Canyon dam was formed and land was taken from the Navajo, the resulting power might have been best given to them for a cut rate. That did not happen so they built their own plant for power that burns coal. My understanding is the plat is not underthe same environmental restrictions as other power plants because the Navajo have their own Nation. I may have that story wrong or only part right. That is what I recall.

Going in the spring I am hoping to avoid the smoke from forest fires to the west which have plagued my trips to the area in the past.

hello,

sounds great. i was just there in late sept. wonderful stuff. i shot with a 135, rb67, 4x5 and 8x10! i shipped my view cameras and LF film GPO and picked them up when i got there. this helped cut down on what i needed to carry on the plane. worked great. my gear was waiting for me when i arrived.

a few thoughts on your kit. the 105 seems redundant. i would leave the digital stuff home. you are more than covered with the two 135 and the 645. the only other suggetsion i would give is to bring a bit of neg film for the 135. i had some real difficulties getting the perfect shots with the slide films small latitude. it is dark down in the canyon, especially during the golden hours and very contrasty later on. on the same note i would pack a bit of medium format slide film. those 645 slides will floor you! enjoy your trip. keep us posted.

i see you have (and area around) IMO bryce canyon is one of the greatest destinations for a photographer in that area! (the only better place i like to photograph is bagan, myanmar...but, no where near the GC!)

eddie

The Page powerplant has newly installed scrubbers but it still produces pollution.

The last sampling reveiled that Los Angeles, the newly boomed Las Vegas and China are contributing quite a bit to the visual impairment of the Grand Canyon and the Colorado Plateau in general. Unfortunate, both the low altitude haze and high altitude diffusion was particularly bad today.

Over the weekend my wife and I camped at the bottom of the "Canyon" and we drove down to it! The Diamond Creek Road on the Hualapai Reservation (about 100 miles West of Flagstaff)leads down into the canyon and only cost $12 per person. I would recommend a high clearance vehicle however there were some folks there in a Buick. We really enjoyed this place and it will be great with the full moon. Good luck!

Here's an interesting part of the GC to visit if you're visiting St. George. First off though, visit the BLM field office on River Road and ask for the Arizona Strip Visitor Map. It's printed on a high quality paper that will nearly defy destruction. The map includes nearly every water tank, corral or landmark in S. Utah/Arizona Strip. A week ago a hikong pal and I drove to the Whitmore Canyon are of the Canyon. 80 miles SE of St. George. The road begins in St. George where River Road turns to gravel. First 20-30 miles are fairly well maintained. After that 4 Wheel Drive is essential. We've done the Toroweap area and agree that this was just as dramatic although different. Not as high in elevation but there is a trail down to the river - 1200'. You can soak your feet. The climb out was tough. I'd wait for cooler weather. We're already getting a bit warm up here. A good fall or Spring trip. Summer heat would make the hike tougher than it already is and any thunderstorms would make the road impassable in many areas. get the map I mentioned if you are interested in this vast area. Couple of shots on my gallery page.

Best regards, Dave