Photographer In Shot

steve.elliott

Ellis, you have to remember that what might not be "remarkable" to other photographers very

likely has meaning to the bride and groom. I think this is a really cute shot of them laughing

in a natural moment. It may not be an award-winning image, but it's definitely worth

keeping.

Ellis, first of all this a 'problem shot', secondly it's my first wedding, thirdly Marc's version seems half the resolution - look at my link.

I think it does flatter the Bride certainly because it thins her face and as Anne said it's a cute moment of them both laughing in a natural moment.

I think I will crop in tighter.

So yes I do have "much better" shots and cute shots like this one. I don't think I'll post them now because, while there are some good comments/suggestions here I've noticed there is always a snide comment without contructive criticism appearing and I can do without it.

I don't know how many weddings you've done but I guess at your first wedding you didn't produce award winning shots on everything you took - and I doubt the couple would appreciate too much art anyway.

Touchy? Perhaps, but snide comments are uncalled for - think I'll just look at other peoples work and try and learn in private from now on. Thanks to the people that have helped me on the way from the basics up.

For me, wedding and similar type event photography isn't about making "art". My approach is closer to trying to be an invisible and sensitive observer, but I'm always going to try to make photographs that are good solid photographs by my standards of what a good narrative photograph is and it is far harder to consistently good at at that than it is to be occasionally great "artistic" photographer. That doesn't mean I'm not going to try and make great photographs.

Was my first wedding an "award winner"? No but their experience working with me and the results were good enough that the couple recommended me to other people who in turn hired me to shoot their wedding or pass my name along to their friends. The same has been true of my commercial and editorial work. As a professional photographer --and when people start paying you money, you are in their eyes at least , a professional -- you get paid for delivering results not excuses and that is true for your first job or your 2000th.

Sorry if you think my comment was "snide". but truly "snide" would have been to call your work "amateurish" which I don't think it is based on the portfolio of images you have up on photo.net.

Allow me to jump in here, if I may. Stephen, I've had a look at your wedding shots, and they are, IMHO, well composed, well lit and exposed. You have absolutely no need to get defensive. I was also very ermmm.. protective(?) of my work (and comments on the same) when just starting out, but think what Ellis is saying rings true too. Whether we like it or not, if we shoot a wedding, the couple expects a professional level of work, paid or not. I don't always receive sparkling comments or even a semblance of constructive criticism on my shots here (wedding or otherwise), but I keep posting because I have realised that the critiques FORCE me to improve at every shoot, learning from past mistakes. So go ahead and post. The only way is up... :)

<p>Best regards from Kenya,

<br>Mark

Thanks Mark, I know what you're saying and I had hoped to post a few more - and might still do so. But I posted a photograph that I wanted help correcting and was expecting some help - not that's not very good.

I respond to constructive criticism, but there are a few people here that have had their posts deleted because they were rude. It's more the way it's said - eg I would have done this...

To be fair Ellis elaborated on what was initially said. But sometimes people with over 20 years experience (against somelike me with 18 months of SLR photography) could be a bit more understanding. I would never mislead any prospective client (free or otherwise) of my experience.

The idea that all can benefit from is that we can learn from our mistakes. If you aren't

making mistakes, then you probably aren't pushing hard enough to learn more.

The best suggestions here have been how to avoid the situation rather than how to fix it ...

including my "fix it" version. But, hey, stuff happens, and adjusting something is part of

the exercise.

We can all lament a magical split second that we somehow screwed up, but wanted it to be

good so much that it clouds our judgement. So, sometimes the hardest thing to do when

first starting out is to just let it go.

The most important post production tool available is the delete key. Mine is pretty well

worn : -)