Customized Hasselblad Back?

ebokeh

I haven't run across one of these before but i've heard of the practice... I

recently picked up an extra A12 back from the auction site. It's in fantastic

shape.. if it was used at all it was very well taken care of.

A previous owner modified it to put his name and copyright on the film edge just

outside of the frame by routing out a section and putting a piece of

transparency in place with glue. i scanned the back with a piece of paper in it

to illustrate this - just thought i'd share what i thought was an interesting

customization. (before i return it)

Hasselblad Back:

<a href="http://www.willcomply.org/camera/HasselbladBack.jpg">Customized

Hasselblad Back</a>

-john

<a href="www.ebokeh.com">www.ebokeh.com</a><div>00Kujj-36218684.jpg.1d11b04beb459862d83ef5ee8758d787.jpg</div>

Fairly ingenious idea. Most probably meant for portrait application and you still get 12 shots to the roll. If you could remove the personalised name I do not see any reason why it cannot serve as a normal back except for its vertical orientation. Remember to frame your composition carefully in the screen to get the image correctly in place though!

i thought about doing that - it looks like it was pretty tricky to get it in there (and straight at that). i thought about contacting the original owner and seeing if he wanted it back. I usually print/scan my stuff full-frame with a bit of the edge in there so this throws me off a little bit.

Another method that i've heard of for similar identification is people adding additional 'v' to the edge with a small file. A pattern of them in the same place on all backs. i'm kinda partial to the stock factory look myself..

i'm talking to the seller about returning it now, if anyone's interested in it i'd be glad to sell it to you. we'd have to figure out the price or trade as i bought it as part of an outfit. i'm not really interested in getting any more than i paid for it - i'm more interested in getting a good/mintish condition A12 out of it of a similar vintage (solid bar across the 2 film reels on the insert rather than 2 individual ones)..