Eclipse versus Eclipse II for cleaning 5D filter

gerald_wallace

(My search didn't find an answer to my specific question).

I recently cleaned my 5D and 20D (and my wife's XT) filter/sensor using Eclipse

and PEC pads. After the cleaning I read where Eclipse II should be usd on the 5D

(not Eclipse). Could I potentially harm the filter/sensor if I continue to use

the Eclipse instead of using Eclipse II for cleaning the 5D - is the difference

a marketing ploy only? Thanks for your help.

I expect that there are 2 versions of the Eclipse liquid for a good reason. OTOH both liquids consist basically of low molecular weight alcohols so I don't expect any immediate damage. Note to Daniel: the solubility in the alcohol mixture can be different from that of pure methanol. By making the mix less polar it can be much safer for the sensor/filter.

I don't remember where I saw this but there was a user recently who documented damaged to his 5D AA filter while cleaning the sensor. Apparently there is some kind of metal copper-like coating that is on the 5D AA filter that is present on others like the 20D. He used the corner edge of the cleaning spatula to clean a stubborn spot and wiped off some of the metal coating -- the damage was clearly visible in the photograph. He was adamant that he applied very little pressure and was experienced in cleaning sensors. As I remember the quote from Canon required a new senor assembly. Not trying to scare you but this person sounded experienced and knowledge - just not about the relatively fragile surface of the 5D AA-filter. I think this is certainly worth more detailed research on your behalf

There certainly seems to be a lot of confusion and misinformation regarding this issue. Some Canon cameras, such as the 5D or the 1D Mk III, have their dichroic hot mirror surface directly exposed on the front of the sensor assembly. On other cameras, this tin oxide coating is on the reverse side of the initial glass element, or there is another layer of glass on top of it, so it is not exposed to normal wet cleaning. There appeared to have been at least one case where wet cleaning a camera with an exposed hot mirror configuration (a 5D) with the original Eclipse solution seems to have damaged, dissolved or otherwise removed at least some of this coating:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&message=22111367&changemode=1

For a while, it was strongly advocated to only use the new E2 solution to clean sensors with a coating on the front, as this had been formulated so as to not dissolve the tin oxide coating. However, since then, the president of Photographic Solutions has been looking into this, collecting information on exactly which cameras were damaged by which solution, and concluded that both Eclipse and E2 were safe to use on all sensors, and both were equally effective, but E2 was less likely to dissolve the tin oxide or other sensitive coatings:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&thread=22929248

So what damaged the 5D sensor? I dunno, but I'm sticking to E2 for my 5D.

-- jeet

Thanks to you all for trying to help with this potential problem. Jeet and Simon, thanks for pointing me towards Photographic Solutions President David Stone,I will be watching the results of his survey.

I don't have a need to clean my 5D very often (I use my 20D about one-third of the time)so perhaps we can find a credible answer to this issue before my next filter cleaning task. Again, thanks for your help.

I have been informed by David Stone of Photographic Solutions that Eclipse is the solution to use for the Canon 5D. E2 will also work, but ONLY if you have a recently-produced unit (as in the past few months); there is a possibility that E2 will damage earlier units, due to some inconsistencies in the filter coatings. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell from the serial # which category your camera falls into. So I guess Eclipse is the safe bet. Anyone want an unused bottle of E2?

• 1 year later...