pre-wedding reception hall etiquette...

brian_walsh7

assumption:

ceremony and reception at same location.

you shoot the bride at her home and head to location an hour before the

ceremony starts.

ok,

how many here barge right into the reception hall to get some images of the

room and all the little details?

or do you find someone in there, tell them who you are, introduce yourself,

ASK PERMISSION and then start shooting?

what is etiquette here?

thanks.

Common sense would indicate that you should make a professional contact with the hall. Unless completely unaware of what's going on (which seems really, really unlikely with an event coming up), how long would you expect to be allowed to wander about poking into things, even with your camera along? It's their place of business, treat them as you'd expect to be treated.

I like to kick the doors down, pop open a bottle of champagne, and relax at the head table

with my feet up }:>

It's always nice to introduce yourself to the coordinator, or person in charge of the venue.

You'll probably see them on occasion, if you continue to do weddings.

If you have camera equipment and a bracket etc.. look like a pro (dressed in professional black clothing etc.) they will know who you are. Be polite and introduce yourself. Always helps with referrals.

"Barging" into anything is a bad idea unless it is your husband or BF cheating on you (and you have found them).. Dangerous (Mostly for their stuff that you will be putting out on the front lawn). :)

Usually the staff are busy working and I don't want to interrupt them, so I just start shooting. The only things I generally ask are: "Are all the tables completely set up?" and "If I put my equipment here will it be in your way?"

Of course, most of the banquet managers around here know me, so maybe its a little different than your situation.