Thinking of buying a studio strobe flash set up...

markarichards

If you are turning pro and expect to make this your life's vocation (and avocation) and money is not an object then go with Elinchrom, Profoto etc. If your budget is more modest and/or this is not a full time profession for you then look into Alien Bee's and Whilte Lightning units. They are both well regarded (I have White Lightnings and recommend them) and only available online from the manufacturer. BTW, there are articles and postings on photo.net that address your quesry in more detail.

I just purchased a Hensel Integra Pro Plus 2 light kit. They are 500 w/s monolights, and the

kit came with 2 umbrellas, a medium softbox, 2 umbrella reflectors, a 7" grid reflector, a

honeycomb grid, a 5-in-1 disc reflector, a wireless transmtter for firing the strobes, stands,

and a case.

The monos are very well built with aluminum casing, and are adjustable in 1/10th stops from

Full to 1/32 power. I couldn't be happier with them performance/quality wise.

This question comes along every few weeks or so. Everyone will have a personal 'brand' preference but the answer depends on:

1. How much money you are willing to spend

2. Where you live and what you can purchase/serviced

3. What features you need, i.e what subjects are you shooting? Cars? People? Toasters, Flowers? Do you need to rent specialized equipment from time to time? lots of this needs to be answered first.

4. If you prefer packs/monos. Some of what is in #3 determines that.

5. Are you a pro, is this your livelihood or are you just a part timer?

For heaven's sake look in the archives first. I follow this forum to learn new things (which I do) about techniques and equipment not to see the same thing over and over again. Sorry if this sounds like a rant, I've wanted to write it for months.

For the record, the best buy is what you can afford, that is reliable enought for your needs and does the job. Lots of brands fit this bill.

So let's never ask this question again, ok?

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for answering my question, sort of. I'm sorry if you've had to read this question too many times on this forum. I'm new here, sort of, and don't have the spare time to read all of old posts as you seem to have. I don't appreciate you venting at me. If you seem to be reading the same things over and over, I suggest you #1 Find a new forum or #2 Find a new photo web site. I've found people on here very friendly and helpful for the most part. You, however seem to be the exception. Memorize my name so that in the future, when you see my posts, you can skip them. I wouldn't want you to have to reread anything.

Mark Richards

Indeed I do find that people are friendly here. There is a 'google' like search at the top right that allows you to check the archives in seconds so no need to 'waste' your spare time searching the archives sequentially. I've done lots of research here myself.

No need to get your back up, just pointing out that people don't use the archives that exist-lots of good articles about lighting written by people who took a lot of their time to do.

In any case you still didn't answer the questions I posed to you so about your needs there is no way to actually answer your question with an complete answer.

Peter