Buying M8 in HK or in US (B&H)?

d_balzac

Given the increased complexity and electronic issues in a digital camera, I think the extra

money is well spent on a longer warranty if that is applicable. I could be wrong, but I believe

the warranty for the M8 is two years limited, not the 5 year passport that you get with a film

model. Assuming the warranties are the same, I would get the HK one if it was cheaper, but

that's just me.

i am serious. full passport warranty is good for 3 years, i doubt you will send in for service within 3 years, if they haven't upgraded by then.

buying new doesn't mean you don't have warranty, just means you will have to send back to the place you bought it and they will send to leica for service on your behalf, take much longer for sure, but you can get it fixed.

i don't see many m8 in the used market. maybe some people will unload in a year, let's see how reliable the built quality is. then i will think about it, but not now.

Mervyn, I had to use a warranty on an indestructible Leica. They're not overrated if they come with the price you pay. Now, the additional warranties (like the Mack) that you can purchase in a store because they are independent from the manufacturer strike me as ripoffs... but then, I never had to use one of those.

Mervyn Yan's answer that warranties are useless:

(1) because you can eventually get the camera fix;

(2) he doubts you will send in for service within 3 years.

cannot be useful advice because:

(1) repair can cost an arm and a leg;

(2) all sort of things happen, including rangefinder misalignment, jammed shutter, faulty circuits.

The whole point is how much one values the warranty. Personally, I would buy from the dealer if the premium is less than 20%.

If you will be in Hong Kong for a few days, you may not be able to find M8, or find one with good price. There is currently non in stock on Stanley street. Perhaps Mong Kok shops may have some.

I myself bought one here a couple of weeks ago from a refered dealer for HK$38,500. I believe the prices are around HK$37,000 - HK$45,000, depending where/who you ask.

I'd say that if you can get it in the US, get it there.

HK is no longer the shopping heaven it once was. I find myself coming back to the States empty-handed time and time again even though I set off to buy something while I was over there. The US prices on the whole are very competitive, with the advantage of the warranties and not having to "sneek" them through customs. The only exceptions are Leica equipments and Hasselblad equipments. Those are still consistently cheaper over there. I once bought a brand new Hasselblad 250SA for about $4k, quite a steal. However, there are probably 2 prices that they quote, one for the locals and one for the tourists, including shoppers from mainland China, who have lots of cash and are too happy to pay for the real things. (How things have changed: nowadays, HK people go to China for the fake stuff and the mainland Chinese go to HK for the real stuff!) So you have to know your prices and know how to spot a fake.

Happy hunting.

If you are in US it makes sense to buy there, in case you need service. My Canadian retailer, www.simonscameras.com, in Montreal, has best Canadian competitive prices (translated to Canadian $), and "Simmy" (Son of the founder Mr. Mendolson) is a real gentleman to deal with. Great follopw-up on difficulties. Supply and service is currently through Leica USA, New Jersey)Downside might be the increasing value of the Can $.

I beliewve it makes sense to have a good dealer rather than saving a few hundred dollars by buying away.