NPS 160, Pro 160S, Pro 160C, and Reala (all by Fujifilm) are all excellent choices. I strongly

recommend rating them at ISO 80 in the case of the 160 speed films, and ISO 50 in the

case of Reala. I would definitely do some testing to determine which film you like best.

Thanks. I picked-up some Pro 160S as well as a couple of rolls of Kodak 160NC. I will be out in the deserts of Utah and Nevada in the next few weeks. Would you recommend a polorizer as well? It has been quite some time since I have shot film or used the T90. I picked-up a couple of digital point & shoot Olympus cameras a few years ago and have recently purchased a D200. To this point, I am just not sure that digital is capable of the same natural quality as film. This trip may decide that question.

How do you plan to print or scan? What type of results do you want?

You selected two low-contrast films, unusual for landscape photography. NPS is discontinued, replaced by 160S.

Yes, I would recommend carrying a circular polarizer for situations

where you have 90 degree cross lighting and desire higher saturation.

Bill:

My trip out West is planned for a trip down and along the route of the first trancontinental road, the Lincoln Highway. Espceially that portion winding through Wyoming, Utah and Nevada. I expect to use the services of my local professional photographic shop to handle the scanning. I will initially print the scans on my HP 7550 after a look with Capture NX or perhaps Lightroom. I have never used either of these films in the past. My last professional use of color negative was with CPS. Later, in my less serious non-pro work, I just used Kodak Gold. I am anxious to see the results with these films. Could you provide a recomendation on the polarizer. Judging from the postings, there seems to be a large difference in quality across the many manufacturers. A few years ago I had a dissapointing experience with the use of a polarizer on my 28-86mm Canon lens while shooting under the big sky. I will also be shooting with the D200 to provide a direct comparison.

On that trip I'd use Kodak UltraColor 400, but I would scan myself.

For you, following the recommendation of your local pro photo shop

is the best plan, because they know what they can scan well. Kodak

100GX or Velvia 100 (slide films) would be another choice.

I bought a B+W circular polarizer, but Hoya ones are good too.

At 28mm wide angle, any polarizer is going to produce a lot of

light falloff or blue-sky gradient, whatever you want to call it.