Canon FD 24mm f/2 vs 24mm f/2.8

abel_sanduski

Build quality is the same if you are comparing lenses of the same mounting style

the 24mm f2.0 S.S.C. to the 28mm f2.8 S.C.

or

the 24mm f2.0 nFD to the 24mm f2.8 nFD

If you are comparing across generations then it is generally thought the earlier Chrome ring is the more rugged then the later versions. They are how ever bigger and heavier which if dropped just increases the mass hitting the ground.

I have for the most part all the newer mount and have never had a problem with the build quality.

Remember all of these lenses were aprt of Canon Top of the line system at the time.

It really wasn't until the later EF mount that canon introduced Cheaper quality lenses to off set the huge cost of lenses. Lenses made to a price point. In the FD line up they did have a couple of lower cost lenses but they did this with changes in aperture and in one or two cases by producing the lens barrels from lighter weight materials. Which since they have already held up for over 20 years they must be pretty good.

LOL Ben you got me. I looked at the list on the museum site to double check before writing my response but looked so fast I must have been looking at the 28mm f2.0 S.S.C.

Guess that is why we make such good comoderators WE ARE ALWAYS trying to check up on the other one LOL

Good catch.

I've owned:

24mm f1.4L

24mm f2

24mm f2.8

24mm f2.8 SSC

I've never owned the chrome nose. These 24mm actually date back to October 1970 as told to me by Jim Biliecki long time F-1 reseacher. So the 24mm chromenoses were part of the initial launch of the FD System.

Anyways, I sold the 3 24mm spares off and settled on the 24mm f2. It's an exceptional lense and it uses common 52mm filters. Only complaint, sometimes I mount the flowerpetal hood wrong and that causes a bit of vinetting which takes me a couple shots to notice.

Lindy

I should add the 24mm f2.0 nFD is my weapon of choice at this focal length as well. I use it so much more then a 28mm I decided to stick with the f2.8 at 28mm. It was one of my most used lenses when we went to Europe in 2003 and shot up 85 rolls of film in 3 weeks.

I don't own a 24 f/2. Mine is the f/2.8 kind. I think it is plenty sharp. I shoot it some but I will admit my f/2.8 28mm is used more for landscapes as it is pleny wide and I want to keep some detail in distant things.

I typically shoot the 24mm and 28mm at around f/5.6 most open, unless I need to slow things down to flow water. I think most lenses are sharpest in their mid range of settings....say f/4 to f/11.

I've used all of these except the 24mm F1.4 editions (too expensive for me). I currently have settled on new Fd mount 24/2.0 and 28/2.0 for the slightly faster speed and easier focusing. I also kept the original chrome nose 24/2.8 and 28/3.5 (I have 35/2 of each style as well - I really like the original chrome nose lenses.) The 28/3.5 is quite compact for a BL lens and is probably the identical optical formula to the FL 28/3.5 (there was never an FL 24mm). One of these days, I might get a new FD 24mm F1.4L but probably not anytime soon.

None has ever let me down and the 24s can really open up a tight space. The 17/4 and 20/2.8 are even better, but you need to watch your subject distance lest you get the big nose exxagerated prespective look.