Problem With Scanning in High-Resolution

I am new to film scanning and have run into a problem. I just bought a Nikon

Coolscan VED 4000 and am scanning negatives. However, there are two problems.

First, after scanning (via Vuescan) the image opens up automatically in the

built-in Microsoft photoeditor. But when I scan at the highest resolutions, that

software tells me that it cannot open the file because it's too large. Thus, I

cannot view or save my high-resolution files. How do I correct this? Do I have

to disable the awful Microsoft editor?

Second, the resolution doesn't seem to be what I though it would be at the

medium resolutions (1000-2000 dpi). The files are only about 300-500kb. Is this

normal? What should I expect?

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't use Vuescan, but I'm guessing that there is a setting somewhere in there that can help you get away from opening in MS photo. However, it also may be that it's just opening in the application associated with the file format. Whatever format you're scanning to, change that association to your editor of choice. (You can do this from any folder under Tools: Options: File Types.)

Next, I'm not sure why you'd scan at less than full resolution unless you KNEW that you'd NEVER want to use that picture for anything larger. Also, if it's saving at 500k, it's probably writing jpegs. So first, save to TIFF or some other non-compressed format. A full-resolution scan of a 35mm slide/neg from the Coolscan V will be ~55Mb at 8 bit and ~110Mb at 16-bit.

You should change the default program used to open image filed. Go to "Microsoft Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/File Type", look up various file image extensions and change the program which opens them - e.g., Photoshop, if you have it.

More important, you should run the scanning program as a stand-alone instead of as a plugin to Photoshop (or whatever). That way, images are scanned directly to a file and saved automatically. I'm not familiar with Vuescan, but Nikonscan and Silverfast have stand-alone options.

1000, or even 2000 ppi is low resolution for a 35mm scan. Use 4000 ppi, then downsize copies in Photoshop if desired. It's best to save scans as TIFF files, preferably 16 bits/channel.

In Vuescan click Perf and under it will be a box for External viewer. Check the box and a

selection box appears which is probably on default. Change to what ever program you

would like to use as a preview. If you don"t want a preview then deselect the External

viewer box which is what I do when scanning large amounts of slides. Without the viewer

the scan will be written to disc.

On the second problem I agree that you should scan at the highest dpi to get the most

information from your negatives. As far as the file size check under the Output that the

TIFF box is checked and not the JPG box.

Fred

I also always untick the External Viewer option, in the Prefs Tab, don't see the point of it.

The resolution you're scanning at is set in the Input Tab. If you've not adjusted anything there, it's likely set to "auto". There's one resolution setting for "preview" and one for "scan".

Suggestion, while in Vuescan:

1. Hit function key F1.

2. Click link: "Vuescan User's Guide"

3. Near the bottom are links to all the "tabs". More-or-less everything you need to know, all the settings, is in those links.