Elmar C 90mm f4

If that's too much for you, look for the Rokker Minolta version. Also made by Leitz in Germany, with the only differences I'm aware of is multicoating and more easily found filter size.

Otherwise one can't telly the difference unless you look at the engraving on the filter ring.

As noted, a pocketable lens with very good performance. About $50 cheaper in the Rokker version.

Jerry

I don't think you can find a better lens for the usual price. I am on the lookout for another to convert to LTM. The Elmar C and the Rokkor C are identical and made by Leitz. The CLE Rokkor was made by Minolta and all practical purposes is optically identical to the Leitz made versions.

If you search the forum, you will find a wealth of information. I have this lens (90 f4 C Wetzler), and after only experimentation with a not-quite-right 90 TE, and even with the temptation to play with a 90 f2 summicron, I have found this lens is sufficient for my 90mm Leica needs. As I understand, its layout is similar to the current highly acclaimed 90 2.8 elmarit though a stop slower, but it is also considerably smaller. You won't be taking available light candid images indoors with low ISO film, obviously, with this lens, but it is an extraordinary performer at all apertures it offers. I'm not saying it is like a 90 apo at f4, but it gives a clarity and richeness that needs no excuses. Good luck in your choices!

Just to clarify a number of remarks made above, this lens can be found in one Leica version and two Minolta versions. The early Minolta version was made in Germany by Leica and was optically identical to the Leica version.

The later Minolta version was introduced with the Minolta CLE and was made in Japan. However, it is generally agreed that the optical design was similar (if not identical) to the Leica and early Minolta versions, but with the addition of superior multi-coating.

Ideally, the later Minolta version is the one to have. However, all versions share the same optical qualities of excellent sharpness and pleasant rendition of out of focus backgrounds. Flare is not an issue if you use the correct lens hood. The later Minolta version might possibly exhibit better contrast thanks to the multi-coating, but the differences are likely to be very small.

Make sure that the rubber lens hood is present and in good condition. The hoods tend to perish and get sticky. If they become soft they no longer "pop out" properly. They are no longer available new and have a non-standard thread so are difficult to replace.

The lens uses Series 5.5 filters which are not threaded, but are held in place by the screw-in hood. These filters are not easy to find, but B+W make a range in that size. They can be ordered from any B+W stockist.

GBP 145 is a very good price, provided that the original hood is included. I sold mine in 2006 on "the auction site" for GBP 175 complete with hood and UV filter.

It's a cracking little lens. If, like me, you don't use a 90mm that often it doesn't add too much weight in yer bag and it's small enough to go in a pocket. Plenty sharp even wide open. Consider it a "Tele-Elmarit Lite". I'd say the usual UK price is GBP160 - 200. Go for it.

I picked one up a few weeks ago and while I haven't seen the results yet, I couldn't resist

picking up Leica glass for $275. When I said the price out loud to the guy selling it on

Craigslist, he immediately dropped his price another $25, thinking he was asking too much. I

was shocked that I could pick it up for that cheap. The lens is barely used, great shape, and

should be a great companion. I mostly shoot 28mm, so this will take some getting used to.

Cheers.