Question about soft proofing.

Last night after reading a tutorial on soft proofing, I gave soft proofing a try

on a image that just won't print right (while the image was open in PS) and my

results were not the best.

I was just reading a different tutorial on creating a Soft Proof Profile. The

first thing mentioned was make sure NO images are open in PhotoShop while

creating the profile. What are the consequences, if I leave the image open while

creating a soft proof profile? I'm trying to get a understanding of what's going

on here.

I've never been able to get a handle on soft proofing until reading the tutorial

that I've linked below, well maybe I should give it try to night first, before

making that statement.

Here is a link to the best tutorial on soft proofing that I've ever read.

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/softproof/softproof_1.htm

Using the correct paper profile will allow you to understand the gamut and dynamic range of the paper / ink combination you are using.

The fundamental difference between paper which reflects light and monitors which emit light mean that you will never get an exact match.

With careful use and 'training' yourself it will however be very useful.

I find it particularly useful in checking shadow detail, or the lack of it. Leaving the softproof on and adjusting the curves will allow some compensation for lack of shadow detail and limited dynamic range

Ian

http://profiles.colourperfect.co.uk

The instruction about closing the image before creating the profile is simply to avoid applying the proof profile before you have duplicated the image (described later). This allows you to have two images open, one with the soft proof profile applied and the other without. Don't get hung up on this detail. The tutorial you cite is indeed very good and worth reading again. The proceedure is well explained.

Cheers/Mike